Powder stuck together

nddodd

I've been pulling some bullets and noticed that the powder inside the cases was stuck together. The cases were in my shop not temp controlled may get to around 80 or so in the summer. The powder was retumbo do yall think the powder is still ok to reuse or not.

Thanks,
Nathan

Hey guys I'm afraid I may of had a blonde moment. These loads were compressed loads so that may be why I've got a problem with it being stuck together in the case. If this sounds like acorrect assumption please let me know. Also do you think the powder is still ok to reuse.

Thanks so much,
Nathan

Nathan,

Some how I feel uncomfortable the poweder sticking together. I would wonder what it would do to burning rate AND potential bridging at the base of the neck when shot.

But if it works ok then it must be ok.

I'd consider switching to a bit of a different burning rate possibly 7828ssc

Hey Roy thanks for the reply, here's what I was doing. I had about twenty cases for my 338 edge loaded up and somehow had a lower seating depth than my others. I was shooting and noticed my groups started to open up a bit, so I went back in the shop and started to problem shoot and found out that they were seated 7 thou deeper. So that's why I started pulling bullets, and retumbo shoots absolutely awesome in my edge w/300 gr smk's.

Thanks
Nathan

Bridging isn't going to be a problem w/that cartridge.

Also initial ignition will loosen things up quite a bit.

I'd stick w/that powder and watch COL.:D

Also, I would think that you are not using an impact puller or you wouldn't see the powder sticking together. Correct?

Last edited:
Bridging isn't going to be a problem w/that cartridge.

Also initial ignition will loosen things up quite a bit.

I'd stick w/that powder and watch COL.:D

Also, I would think that you are not using an impact puller or you wouldn't see the powder sticking together. Correct?

Yes sir your correct I'm using a RCBS bullet puller w/collet. It works alot better and easier than the old inertia style pullers. I also use a oversized collet so it doesn't mark the bullet up when you pull it.

Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts