Powder Storage

WildernessBob

If you have primers and reloading powder, where are you storing it. in the house, or in the garage? How long have you been storing the powder and do you store the primers in the same area as the powder? What are most people doing and what's is the safest move?
I have only a few large rifle primers left, maybe 800 LR and 400 mag. We used up the 8 lb. powder containers but have six or seven one lb container on the top shelf in a walk in closet. The primers are in the bottom drawer in the bedroom. I wonder if I'm being too protective? We are reloading Large rifles. When this weirdness ends we will start reloading 45 ACP

I happily keep all of my components in my reloading room. Temperature & humidity controlled, so I don't have to worry about the problems of heat-cycles and humidity issues that are all too common with garage/shed type storage - especially in my climate.

I believe that if you are smart about your placement and treatment of volatile components (powder & primers), you should be good-to-go. Not sure what your overall reloading layout or available space issues might be, but many folks keep them in the same loading area with no negative outcomes.

I happily keep all of my components in my reloading room. Temperature & humidity controlled, so I don't have to worry about the problems of heat-cycles and humidity issues that are all too common with garage/shed type storage - especially in my climate.

I believe that if you are smart about your placement and treatment of volatile components (powder & primers), you should be good-to-go. Not sure what your overall reloading layout or available space issues might be, but many folks keep them in the same loading area with no negative outcomes.
Ditto as to storage. After all, when I reload I have the press's powder hopper filled with gunpowder, the original powder container is placed behind the press to remind me what powder is in the hopper in case I get distracted by my loving family and the primer tube with 100 primers hanging off the press. But I do have a fire extinguisher next to the reloading bench.
Only because of a space problem my loaded ammo is downstairs in part of our (my spouse's) pantry.

Like GLTaylor said all bets are off if the house catches fire.

I'm in an area of Florida where no-one has basements and the humidity is 100% at sunrise 300 days out of the year. I store the powder inside the air conditioned house in a closet however do the reloading in the garage but not in the summer. I was just thinking I'm over protecting the powder. Thanks for the replies

Keep in open air. Don't store in any containers or safes. I met someone at a range one time that said he keeps his powder in lockers that are tight, I told him he just built a bomb in his basement. He didn't understand that if his house caught on fire the lockers would probably build pressure and explode. I keep everything on shelves. If it burns it will just burn hot, no chance of causing an explosion.

Dmagna you give logical advice. I have accidentally already followed your advice. The powder are in the containers they came in, sitting vertical on a wire shelf in an interior closet. I will remove the primers from where they are inside a dresser drawer and find a logical place for them to get them in the open

Right now primers are kept in an old wooden ammo box with the various bullets I have. Powder is in a plastic tote on the other side of the room. One jug comes out of the tote at a time. The man cave is a finished section of the basement, I keep a fire extinguisher in the other half near the boiler but think I'll pick up a small RV one for under the bench.

Edited for safety: After reading A few powder manufactures recommendations on powder and primer storage, I've edited my post. Temperature and humidity control are key. Cool dry place. Free from potential heat or ignition sources. Also free from extreme confinement, so they cannot build pressure, and create a bomb. I have removed my ammo cans from my storage. I will continue to store in my fire rated safe however, as I feel the dehumidifier I have in it serves a purpose. It also has large gaps around the door, and holes in the bottom, so I feel it won't build pressure. I also feel that in case of a fire, the added protection of being fire rated may prevent ignition in the first place. I can admit when I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Wouldn't store primers or powder in metal ammo cans or a safe. See "making a bomb" above😱
I would agree that an ammo can would build pressure, potentially making a bomb. But a fire rated gun safe, is not a bad idea. It will prevent the powder or primers from ignition in the first place, and it's not a sealed container, so pressure would not build enough to make a bomb.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.