Powder Recommendations .243 Win

antleredacres

Hello: First post. I have a short barreled, 18", rifle chambered in .243 Winchester. I'd appreciate any recommendations of which powders should perform the best with this combo. I'd like to use either the 90gr. Accubond or the 90gr. Scirroco II. Thanks in advance.

For your 18" barrel my recommendation is something in the mid to fast burning rate
powders. You might try RL15, Varget, IMR4064 etc. My 243 has a varmint weight 24"
10 twist barrel. For the 90gr and 95gr bullets I found IMR4831 to be the better choice.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!

i would also consider a 90 grain scenar or a 90 berger. varget and H4350. lapau brass.

I've had outstanding accuracy with RL-19 & Ramshot Hunter pushing an 87grn V-max. I ran 19 out of a 24" bolt gun & Hunter out of my 20" DPMS. Both show well under MOA. FED 210M only.

t

From what little experience I have I am finding varget and imr 4350 are working well.
Good luck!

I had a Ruger Compact (16.5 inch barrel) and ran Retumbo behind Berger 105VLDs, 2760fps. Goes against conventional wisdom, but accuracy was good. Spent the summer trying to burn it up waiting on a new full length varmint contour barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor to rebuild it full size.

For my Grandson's 600 Mohawk 18.5" barrel, I'm loading IMR4064 behind 95gr Nosler CTBT's and 95 gr Nosler BT. Getting .548" groups with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.