Powder Questions

If cost isn't an issue just buy an 8lb if available. I just finished up an 8lb that I opened 15 years ago and it still works great! If you buy 1 lbs then the question is how many? Just buy the 8 and don't worry about it!

Buy the 8 lb if you can find them.. If not get 1 lb containers.. I have had to do this if they are of a different lot then just take and mix them all together and make one lot of your own.. Some people will freak about mixing but it has worked perfect for me and I don't have to worry about lot numbers. Once mixed put it back into your containers and never look back.. You have one big lot number for the duration of all that powder. Temp controlled and it will last forever.. I have 15 year old powder that is shooting like day one.. JMHO..

I am new to reloading. Am I better to buy multiple 1 pound containers so that an 8 pound isn't opened from day one?

Also, I don't shoot as much as a lot of you, however, what is your recommendation for how much powder to buy? Should I base it on how long it will last (rounds shot per year) or buy once?

Thanks,
Steve

"I" prefer 1-pounders with the same lot number.

I like to keep the airtight seal in tact for as long as possible so I will buy 1lb jugs for infrequent loading. But for high frequency reloading get the bulk 5 pounders

Update:

I picked up 7lbs (1lb containers) of Varget and 1000 CCI BR2 primers.

Crossing my fingers I can find a good load.

Thanks all
Steve

I figured it will work well in all 3 cartridges (223 Rem, 7-08 Rem and 308 Win).

Did a lot of research and help from all of you. It seems to be an extremely popular powder (aka fairy dust) that does a lot of things really well.

I probably spend too much on primers as I only buy CCI BR 2 and BR 4 primers, but I will blame that on @J E Custom. LOL

Have a great weekend!
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.