Powder/Primer storage

You have me curious now...I will try it and let you know...lol..I have some pistol primers I don't use anymore...keep your good ones! That one primer may be the difference between life and death when the Covid 7 starts turning folks into Zombies!
Great you try one and so will I. I already soaked a LRG rifle primer, that I found under my reload bench, in a glass of water. Will take it out later and put outside to dry and try it in an empty case tomorrow.

I've been vacuum sealing my primers. I have never had one fail. With that said I have dozens of acquaintances that do not vacuum seal primers and they also never had one fail. It probably doesn't make a difference. I just feel better about it. I would not vacuum seal powder and I recommend against it.

I posted this about a year ago, but here it is again. I was forming 256 Newton brass from once fired 270 WW brass. I needed to check water capacity for a quick load question. I seated a new WW WLR primer and filled with water and checked the water weight. Set it aside and forgot about it. Two or three weeks later I picked up the case and it was still half full of water. I dumped the water out and placed it in the rifle and it fired just fine. Sounded just like a new primer that hadn't been exposed to water.

I do not see any real advantage to vacuum sealing primers or powder, but there is some advantage to simply putting bulk primers in large plastic ziplocks, bags, etc. Older powder cans made of paper can be more protected in plastic wrap also, but I have only done this in areas that have fire sprinklers, overhead water lines, swamp coolers, etc, and if there is any chance of other stored chemicals spilling near or on the components. (Best to store in a way to avoid this potential)

As for the water tests, about 5 years ago, I bought several items from an estate sale, and a few items has been exposed to water. Nothing major for most, but one 50 cal mil can holding several boxes of 1960's mil 45ACP had somehow become wet inside and left sealed for quite sometime. When I opened the can, the dampness and obvious musty smell was very strong, and the brown paper boxes had deteriorated badly. The brass cases and FMJ's had anywhere from little to much corrosion present. I pulled the worst looking ones and begun the breakdown. After a thorough polish, the bullets were salvageable, and a few cases, but the worst were to be tossed.

Out of pure curiosity, I decided to snap a few of the still primed cases, and viola, they worked. Granted, these were old mil loads with sealed primers and bullets, but given the age and obvious deterioration due to wetness, I was impressed.

No I haven't. Never wanted to waste a primer, but I think that I may have a few primed cases from a while ago. I may put some water in the case then dump out, air dry and fire.
Will let you know.
The problem isn't the priming compound becoming wet, it's the paper 'foil' that separates the compound from the anvil.
The other major issue is corrosion within the primer itself from water or moisture.
I used to believe that dropping oil in primers rendered them inert….not so! I fired 10 after soaking them for 2 MONTHS in WD40! All 10 went off.
The compound used in the priming pellet is oil based, hence it will not absorb water, but the brass in the primer components will definitely corrode.
Who else has seen green corrosion on bullets and inside cases after being pulled apart? I know I have. Even had rounds come apart where the bullet stayed in the neck and the neck broke off above the shoulder!

Cheers.

I talked to Alliant once when I had some powder that suddenly started producing more velocity/pressure. Long story short he said it had probably dried and I was getting more volume for the weight. I asked him about sealing my powder canisters and he don't do that. The canisters they ship powder in are designed to breathe. They do not seal by design.

I have used primers recently that i bought at Longs Drug when I lived in Alaska in the early eighties. Nary a dud. Granted they never got wet or even damp but were in storage bins couple years at a time in western Washington and now Montana. I wouldn't waste your time.