Powder/Primer Availability?

WilBloodworth

I'm brand new to reloading (equipment is still in the box) and am having an extremely difficult time finding powder and primers (small rifle). When I do find powder, the shipping is more expensive than the powder. I live in North Texas so any suggestions on where I can find powder and primers locally? Cabellas and Bass Pro are the only stores I've thought about but haven't had time to run over there yet. I am planning to load 6.5 CM. Thank you in advance!

I'm brand new to reloading (equipment is still in the box) and am having an extremely difficult time finding powder and primers (small rifle). When I do find powder, the shipping is more expensive than the powder. I live in North Texas so any suggestions on where I can find powder and primers locally? Cabellas and Bass Pro are the only stores I've thought about but haven't had time to run over there yet. I am planning to load 6.5 CM. Thank you in advance!
Too bad you are so far away. We would give you some powder and primers just you get you started. Can't ship Powder or Primers.

Too bad you are so far away. We would give you some powder and primers just you get you started. Can't ship Powder or Primers.
That is mighty kind of you. I'm sure I will find at least some rifle powder (although not the ideal H4350) somewhere in Dallas. I guess I just need to be patient.

Wil, Bruno's had some small rifle primers a while back but I have not checked lately.Also Brownell's had some recently.
Every day I check Powder Valley for powder and primers and so far slim pickns my friend.
Since I'm new, I wasn't sure which of the vendors are reputable. I've heard there are a lot of scammers out there just taking your money. I will go hit some of those "notify me" buttons on those two sites. Thank you for the recommendations!

That is mighty kind of you. I'm sure I will find at least some rifle powder (although not th ideal H4350) somewhere in Dallas. I guess I just need to be patient.
You will find some especially on LRH with members in your area. Heck one lb of H-4350 will give about 160 loads with your 6.5 Creed.

Since I'm new, I wasn't sure which of the vendors are reputable. I've heard there are a lot of scammers out there just taking your money. I will go hit some of those "notify me" buttons on those two sites. Thank you for the recommendations!
It is easy to spot them if you know what to look for. You can put a few things together (low prices, everything in stock) but a dead giveaway is payment methods…if you can use a credit card then you should be fine. Do not use PayPal, crypto, Venmo, etc where you have no recourse when they bail on you..

Last edited:
If I were you I'd get online and make a list of mom and pop shops in the area. There's a little gun store over in Vernon that manages to surprise me occasionally even if it is an 80mi round trip.

Since you're in Texas you may wish to check out Capital Cartridge in Houston, they do have small pistol and small rifle primers from time to time. These are Unis Ginex Primers out of Bosnia, 5000/550usd.

Watch the net, and put in on the wish list. They are all jacking there prices up. The H powders are or seem to be harder to come by. Put your name in @ MidSouth, Midway, Brownell, Graf & Son and few others. I saw some H4831 here the other day but at almost @ $50. per lbs. Limits of 2. It's all gone now. I guess people will pay almost anything to get there hands on some. Keep watching it will comeback. I hope people can see voting leftwing does for us..