Powder measuring

lefty15

When reloading my rifle shells I use a RCBS beam scale and measure each powder charge this way. I do find that it is quit slow, but I do have good results at the range.
Should I look into getting a powder measure for time savings?
What do use guys use, and also what would you guys suggest that I do, should I stay with my beam scale or use a powder measure? If you do recommend a powder measure which one would you suggest?

Lefty 15,
I have and use two different powder measures.#1 a Harrold measure,which is very accurate with ball powders and very small flake.I use this at the range where I load for the 6ppc benchrest round.#2 ,don't laugh,at my loading bench I use a $20.00 Lee powder measure.Since I weigh the powder charge and trickle up with a 10/10 balance beam scale.If you are weighing the powder charge,anyway,might as well save money on the powder measure.
FWIW,
Jim

I use a Pact Digital Combo. After dialing in charge weight I check every five charges with an Ohaus beam scale. These are rated +/_ 1/10gr. Speedy enough for me.

I have always and will always weigh every charge for precision rifle shooting, as long as I use and extruded powder. I used Lee plastic dippers for long time and trickled my loads up. I have recently (6 months ago) purchased a RCBS Uniflow powder measure and I am EXTREMELY happy with it. It sped my reloading time up...maybe 300%. I set it up to throw charges ~.3 grains low and trickle up. That way, if a charge gets thrown on the heavy side it will usually be right about perfect. After enough time behind the measure, you find that consistency in operation is key. My 45.4gr Varget throws are about 90% of the time within +/- .1 grs now....usually. I've heard good things about the cheap Lee Measure... never used one but the serious guys I've seen use them want as much or more accuracy than I do...For what that's worth.

I use an old Hornady/Pacific powder measurer. With ball powers I drop straight in to the case. With extruded powders I drop charges approx. .1 grain short then trickle the rest.
I also have a Lee powder measurer. It is functional but I do not care for the ergonomics of it. For me the handle and the knob are too short. I also prefer the feel of the positive stop with a metallic measurer.
I loaded several thousand rounds using a Pacific, Redding and RCBS powder measurer before I settled on Hornady/Pacific.
I am sure the new Hornady powder measurers are at least as good as my ancient one.

James

I use my Midway Powder Dispenser when I'm using ball powder, and the Lyman DPS 1200, which I just acquired from Len, for the extruded powder. I don't trust the electronic scale at first but, during my last reloading session, it was proven that the electronic scale despenser was just as reliable, and accurate, as the balance scale. I verified ten successive drops using my Hornady Balance scale, and they're within 1/10th of grain, just as Lyman claimed it should be. The resultant performance of the load was posted here:

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...p;page=0#144266

I have had the RCBS combo for a few months now. I think it is about the best $$ I have spent in a while. If you can save up, bight the bullet, and get the combo, you will have the best of both worlds. Accuracy and speed.

+1 on the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. I have been using one since the fall and it is great. I weighed charges out of it pretty regularly at first but my interval between weighings got longer very quickly as I couldn't find it to be off by more than 1/10 of a grain.

I have several of the RCBS Uniflow measures as well as a digital and beam scale. I generaly work up loads away from home, and as a result, I pre-weigh the powders that I intend to work with. I record the setting on the stem of the Uniflow, for the start and max loads for each. Then while working with those powders I simply increase the charge in 1/4 or 1/2 turn increments on the stem. If I haven't found anything promising once I get to the high end, I change powders. If I find something which shows definate promise, I will record the setting and weigh it up once I get home. Then I can tweak it out in small increments later.

As others have mentioned consistancy is key when using these to throw charges. I grew up using one similar, so it was just more or less a replacement with a newer model for me. With a little practice they can be very close for throwing and then just a quick trickle and your done.

The new PACT high speed dispenser with the digital scale is hard to beat. Very accurate no matter what type of powder I use. Not too expensive compared to others! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I HATE, HATE, HATE to trickle up to my weighed charge, but I so it when loading powders that don't "throw" well.

For years I threw powders with my RCBS Uniflow with the micrometer insert.....then I bought my Harrell's Premium meter. I actually bought the Harrell Custom 90 meter first which I loved but I sent it back because Lynwood Harrell (smart man that he is), let my test drive a Premium, which I bought. I won't sell my Uniflow, preferring to keep it as a backup should I have my Harrell Premium out of commission until I can obtain a replacement.

For smaller grained extruded like H4895, H4350, H4831sc and other short cut powders I will throw my charges. I'm using Rel 25 in my 30-06 Ackley Imp and can only get to with +/- .4 gr (.8 gr total). I need to perform a long range test on "thrown" charges of Rel 25 and convince myself I don't need to "throw and trickle to weight".

Another reason I like to throw is I can load and develop loads at the range. No need to have a scale, electric or beam (my fav).

And last but not least, after reading the treatsie by Glen Zediker in his book on Competitive Reloading, I'm convinced weighing from day to day, I will end up with different weights in the case as powders can and do gain/loose moisture, hense weight; and scales, when zerod from day to day change their zero. Where as a "volume", read that as "thrown or metered", will not change with a culver style of meter such as the Harrell's.

That's my take on the subject.

GSPP, did you notice a big difference between the Custom and the premium Harrell Powder measure?
I am currently using the Custom., very nice but doesnt seem to be enough to eliminate weighing every charge.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts