Powder lot variations

ricka0

Dakor shows very impressive shooting in 500 yard range results Dakor reports [ QUOTE ]
I changed powders because I was sick of fighting with R-22 every time I bought a new can of powder. Now when I run out of H-1000 I just buy a new can and I dont have to work up a new load.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was varation in lot to lot with all powders, but I suppose some are better and some are worse. I also assumed much of the variation was due to moisture absorbed by the powder. I try to minimize this by going with 8 lb containers in lieu of 16 oz and [pardon the cliche] <font color="purple"> close the lid to Keep my powder dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif </font>

I too have noticed <font color="blue"> HUGE </font> differences in RL22 from lot to lot. It all seems to shoot good, but some lots lose up to 150 fps to normal lots! RL10x and RL25 seem to be much better about this, but overall, I would say Vihta Vuori has been the most consistent for me.

gota be carefull useing fullhouse loades with R22.It has workt great for me but every jug needs to be started low and workt up.Ited be nice to be able to aford 3 jugs at a time so load development could be minimized.

GG you took the words right outta my mouth! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Thats the same results I have had and heard of. I love the reloader powders but the variation on the 22 is kinda aggrevating. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I have had to work up a new load every time I run out of R-22 it gets old. I have had to go up a full 2 grains to get the same performance and have had to go down 3 grains sometimes. When I use Hodgon powders if there is a difference from LOT to LOT my rifle and myself cannot tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just don't allow yourself to blindly trust any powder. Even Hogdons. See the listed variations. Mine was with AA and was 200fps plus. So you see if you are on the max end and the change adds another 200 fps or the resulting pressure.... ouch.

I don't trust any powder anymore. Not even Viht who has been, for me anyway, stable since 99.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.