Powder gone bad?

I remember reading many years ago that powder stored in metal cans was more stable than the new powders stored in plastic containers. The argument presented was that the plastic was more porous than the steel and therefore permitted moisture to invade the powder. I've never researched this statement to see if there was any validity to it. Anybody know if this is true?

There's no way that plastic is porous, ever seen a plastic container filled with water leaking from a seal?
Ever seen a metal can filled with water leaking from a seal?
I know I've seen plenty leaking metal cans, whether it was water or not.
Plastic is also more stable in temp swings than metal. In other words, metal transfers ambient temp into the interior of the vessel far easier and faster than plastic does.

Cheers.

The old stuff stuff has a smell like rubbing alcohol.
That's a clean smell.
Bad powder doesn't have a clean smell, it'll smell kinda rancid. A powder that's old, but in good shape smells clean (kinda like ether).
I've shot old powder just like some of the other repliers that shot fine.
Maybe this would be a good powder for bbl break-in or getting all of your brass once fired or fire forming. I'd put it to good use and not throw it out. Powder is to precious these days.
Just wouldn't use it for load development.

Best Regards.

There's no way that plastic is porous, ever seen a plastic container filled with water leaking from a seal?
Ever seen a metal can filled with water leaking from a seal?
I know I've seen plenty leaking metal cans, whether it was water or not.
Plastic is also more stable in temp swings than metal. In other words, metal transfers ambient temp into the interior of the vessel far easier and faster than plastic does.

Cheers.

That's what I've thought for years also, but never researched it. I thought, how can metal be more leak proof when you have to weld the ends to make the container which, including the cap, provides 3 points of possible failure, but plastic is one continuous mold with no seams except for the cap. Good point about the insulating qualities of plastic, never thought about that benefit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts