Powder for the .260 Rem

amce

G'day all

I am anxiously waiting for my Sako Varmint in .260 Rem. It's arrived at the LGS but I'm still waiting for the local constabulary to approve my Permit to Acquire. The dies and other loading accessories are on their way from Sinclair.

Now to get some components. I will be using Lapua brass and also starting out with Lapua Scenar bullets, 123 and 139 grainers. Also wanted to try Sierra's HPBT as I use them with great success in my .223. As you can imagine, these are impossible to find at the moment over here.

When it comes to powder I have two choices: Norma or Vihtavuori. I use VV N133 and N135 today for the .223 and in their reloading data VV suggest N160, N550 and N560. I can source all of these here but I only want to have one. Will also load some A Max or Ballistic Tips for hunting and would still like to use the same powder.

Any suggestions from all you .260 fanatics out there? I'll soon be joining you.

Cheers

G'day again,

Forgot to add that the Sako Varmint has a 600mm (23 5/8") barrel with a 1:8" twist.

Cheers

I have used N-540 with the 139 gr. Scenars with good luck. I have also had very good luck with 120 gr. A-Max and Superformance. You should do well with either or both if you can find them. H-4350 and H-4831 works very well also. Just don't look for load data for Superformance as ther is none in the HDY. Manual or any other to my knowledge. Whatever you choose will give good results as the .260 is a very accurate cartridge. Good luck to you. ..... SEMPER FI!

Thanks for the input, guys. Can't get hold of American powders here at the moment. A few gun shops have them listed but they can't get any supplies from the States. Even if you can't say that one manufacturer's powder is the same as another I've read that H4350 is pretty similar to N550 and that N160 is also pretty close. I can get hold of both but at the equivalent to $50 a pound plus shipping and extra costs for dangerous goods I only want to get one sort.

My license for the .260 arrived in yesterday's mail so I'll be picking it up in a day or two. No dies yet as the bushings were on back order at Sinclairs. Trying to source some factory stuff so that I can get the sighting in sorted in the mean time.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.