Powder for new 243 no varget

In a 243 I've used IMR4350, shoots great. Used IMR7828, shoots great. I'm now using RL22 ,again shoots great. Some of the other powders mentioned like Hybrid 100V is one I would like to try along with RL23 & RL26. However it gets hard to fix what ain't broke and the thought of the extra barrel wear keeps me from too much experimentation.

I've had extreme accuracy with 85gn GK and IMR4831 and 90/95gn Ballistic Tips and VihtN560. Both these combos produced bugholes at 100yds and .5 MOA out to 500-600yds.

Me too. I'm running 42.0 grains of IMR 4350 under the Sierra 85 grain BTHP Gameking in my Cooper Custom Classic w/24" bbl. Very accurate. I shot a crop damage doe with it last week and pulled it a little right. No matter. That Gameking shatterd the liver and she only went about 10 yards. I like the bullet cause it's effective, cheap and good for chucks too!

If you're wanting heavier/higher bc the hornady 105 bthp match will stabilize just fine out that twist. For hunting the Sierra 90 grain "game changer" tipped game king has a B.C. of .480 and also will have no trouble with that twist.

I find that my .243 (and my 270 and my .300 win) are better served by powders of a slower burn rate than is often talked about as ideal. I like 100 percent load density as well.

If it ain't broke...rl 19 and 22 and 4350, 4831 and 7828 ssc are proven

I'd be really interested to see what rl23, 25 (forget 26, it's a rumour) do, as well as the enduron 4451, 4955, and 7977 powder. Hodgdons data shows 7977 doing some pretty awesome things with 105s, over 3000 FPS which is very high performance coming from hodgdon (more conservative and real world data than some - nosler and alliant - )

Me too. I'm running 42.0 grains of IMR 4350 under the Sierra 85 grain BTHP Gameking in my Cooper Custom Classic w/24" bbl. Very accurate. I shot a crop damage doe with it last week and pulled it a little right. No matter. That Gameking shatterd the liver and she only went about 10 yards. I like the bullet cause it's effective, cheap and good for chucks too!

not relevant to the 243 discussion but your post reminded me of when I pulled a shot on a buck when I was 16 and discovered by accident how effective a direct hit to the liver is. This one went down faster than a double lung hit, and covered much less ground, less than 10 yards, no mad dash like a heart or lung hit, just a few seconds of very drunk staggering and lights out. Since then I've had a better appreciation for what is seen when a boxer takes a left hook to the liver and just kind of staggers around like a drunk zombie and can't move anymore, often mistaken by audience for a below the belt shot because many can't imagine that a hit to the torso could be that instant of a fight stopper.

P1030205.jpg First please note that 100-V is a blend of stick and ball powders. No combination like that has ever won an accuracy contest anywhere, ever. The only other blend Hodgdon markets, IMR-4007, same plan different burn rate, has been recalled because of dangerous deterioration (oxidation). Not what I would choose to develop a load with.

I would be surprised if either Reloader 16 or H-4350 could be beat for dependable grouping in any weather condition. Quickload shows that Reloader 17 will produce the most velocity and my personal experience with .243 would bear that out. I use my heavy barreled Model 70 for my windy conditions, if this doesn't work, go home, prairie dog rifle, 9 twist. I had the rifle sit in the safe for a year between hunts, the first shot, clean barrel absolutely centered the bull at 300 yards. 87gr Hornady and Reloader 17.

not relevant to the 243 discussion but your post reminded me of when I pulled a shot on a buck when I was 16 and discovered by accident how effective a direct hit to the liver is. This one went down faster than a double lung hit, and covered much less ground, less than 10 yards, no mad dash like a heart or lung hit, just a few seconds of very drunk staggering and lights out. Since then I've had a better appreciation for what is seen when a boxer takes a left hook to the liver and just kind of staggers around like a drunk zombie and can't move anymore, often mistaken by audience for a below the belt shot because many can't imagine that a hit to the torso could be that instant of a fight stopper.
Yeah. I think there's a lot of portal circulation in the area and it makes for a kind of explosive internal "bleed out". One thing's for sure, the cavity was full of blood when I opened her up. One could argue you'd rather have that on the ground as a blood trail but in the case of an essentially DRT situation, it doesn't matter much.

Yeah. I think there's a lot of portal circulation in the area and it makes for a kind of explosive internal "bleed out". One thing's for sure, the cavity was full of blood when I opened her up. One could argue you'd rather have that on the ground as a blood trail but in the case of an essentially DRT situation, it doesn't matter much.

yeah I get a kick out of it when people complain of bullet failure because there was no exit wound on an animal that didn't really go anywhere.

My buck from the story did have an exit wound (270 win, 150 power points) and there was no need to cut the throat as it seemed there was almost no blood left in the creature. Crazy. Never seen anything like that before or after with heart or lung hits even.

I use the hybrid 100v and have had zero issues with it and 1 hole groups out of 3 different .243's. I have been using DRT brass with CCI BR2 primers. Matter of fact it's the only powder I have used in the Savage that has achieved a 1 hole group. It may not win any awards but if I can get groups like that with no issues i will take that every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.