Powder for 300 Win Mag

I live in Auburn
i have some
customers in Montgomery so I'm over there often.
I need to post up some other powders I have that I'm not likely to develop a load for.
hate to let them sit on the shelf if someone could use them.

I use RL-26 my favorite load for Hornaday 225 gr ELDM is 74.0 gr, 3.6 in OAL V=2903 fps in RPR. I found RL-26 burns cleaner than H-1000

My personal opinion having done load development for numerous 300wm is that I find no advantage to shooting anything over 200 grains. Just not enough case capacity to push them over 3000 which takes advantage of the higher bc bullet. But im certainly not here to talk you out of trying it.
I've had best results with 7828 with 180 and 200 grainers.
Recently got my hands on 5lbs of rl26 and it looks like its gonna be my go-to powder for the 300wm from now on. I will say it does smoke like a front stuffer which is weird but man does it make speed!
I'm getting 3100 with 180 Barnes tsx with sub moa accuracy from a factory browning a bolt with a 23 inch barrel. This is a max load in this rifle and Winchester brass is getting 5 reloads.

I use RL-22 in mine and achieve tremendous accuracy results with it (like the shots in one hole at 100yds type accuracy).

I think the bigger magnums like that can utilize the slower burning powder nicely.

Granted the rifle is a good one too but, RL-22 is what I like at the moment.

I live in Auburn
i have some
customers in Montgomery so I'm over there often.
I need to post up some other powders I have that I'm not likely to develop a load for.
hate to let them sit on the shelf if someone could use them.
I live in Lowndesboro and work in Selma.

I am trying to find a temp insensitive powder for my new 300 win mag. I want to try the 225 ELD and the 215 Berger. 26" barrel.

I have tried to find H1000, Retumbo, RL26, N570, N565, and IMR 8133. No luck on any of these. Any other powders worth trying to find?
what is you barrels twist?

Cape Cove, how much R26 you running with 180 s ? I ve worked up to 78 grs and getting 3125 with 180 cup and core Bullets.

My personal opinion having done load development for numerous 300wm is that I find no advantage to shooting anything over 200 grains. Just not enough case capacity to push them over 3000 which takes advantage of the higher bc bullet. But im certainly not here to talk you out of trying it.
I've had best results with 7828 with 180 and 200 grainers.
Recently got my hands on 5lbs of rl26 and it looks like its gonna be my go-to powder for the 300wm from now on. I will say it does smoke like a front stuffer which is weird but man does it make speed!
I'm getting 3100 with 180 Barnes tsx with sub moa accuracy from a factory browning a bolt with a 23 inch barrel. This is a max load in this rifle and Winchester brass is getting 5 reloads.
Stone hands where did you find rl26 ? If you don't mind me asking, thks

Agree with others, H4831SC is a great option. Can usually find it and has been accurate in several rifles. Sacrifices a little speed, but super accurate.

Hit up every major sporting goods stores from southern Kansas to Northeast Wisconsin couple of months back in search of many of the same powders. Needless to say, I came home empty handed. But in all fairness I was only looking for 8 pounders.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts