Powder for 260 Rem

As many fellow shooters here have pointed out the 260 rem is easy to load for and works with a ton of powders it is like the 30-06 in regards to powders that work well across the spectrum of bullet weights and burn speeds from 4895's up to 4831's and various VV powders in those burn ranges also. I have been 100% satisfied with mine for about 16 years or so no. If Remmy had not screwed the pooch on the twist rate when they made the 260 a factory chambering we might not have seen the creedmore. Too bad its almost forgotten now and hard to find in a factory rifle which is a shame.
How many times has Remington come up with a great cartridge and then just screwed it up beyond belief. The 6mm Rem. The 280 Rem. The 260. The list goes on.

Thanks for the help everyone. I got my riffle it's a savage 12 with the HS precision stock and the fluted heavy barrel but the barrel has been cut down to 22". My next question is for targets and possibly deer out to 1000 yards what bullet weighs do you recommend I try first. I see lots of people using both 130's and 140's

Thanks for the help everyone. I got my riffle it's a savage 12 with the HS precision stock and the fluted heavy barrel but the barrel has been cut down to 22". My next question is for targets and possibly deer out to 1000 yards what bullet weighs do you recommend I try first. I see lots of people using both 130's and 140's
I think your savage has a 1-9 twist which is not going to give you joy with long 140 class bullets. You should be able to get the 130 AB to shoot and its a good bullet but not a 1000 yarder imo. The hunting line of bergers need an 8 twist as a recommended and a 7.5 would not be out of place and give a bit of insurance. Do not over look the 120 ballistic tip it is a really good bullet in the 260 and will perform well out to about 500 yards or so on deer size game if you start it off at around 3000 fps which should be doable for you in that 22 inch barrel.

I think your savage has a 1-9 twist which is not going to give you joy with long 140 class bullets. You should be able to get the 130 AB to shoot and its a good bullet but not a 1000 yarder imo. The hunting line of bergers need an 8 twist as a recommended and a 7.5 would not be out of place and give a bit of insurance. Do not over look the 120 ballistic tip it is a really good bullet in the 260 and will perform well out to about 500 yards or so on deer size game if you start it off at around 3000 fps which should be doable for you in that 22 inch barrel.
I haven't physically checked the twist yet but all the reading I have done on it so far suggests it is an 8 twist. They guy I bought it off was also shooting 142gr SMK's with good accuracy

Thanks. My only concern was I have read that some people have issues with the IMR version not being for temp stable. I do a fair bit of shooting in very warm and very cold temps but if nothing else I just might have to do some testing.

From experience with both, with IMR-4360 your POI will change with warmer temperatures. Example, in my 7mm-08 for silhouette shooting with the 150gr Matchking, from 75° in the morning to above 90° in the early afternoon the POI at 500m ( 550 yds) is 6" high. With H4350, RL16 and IMR-4451 I have not had that issue.

I used it for years and very accurate, but when I ran out and tried these other ones, I haven't had to worry about adjustment as the temperature rises.

STaBall is available. It works very well and will get you speed. Stated to be heat stable. I've used it in several other calibers very closely related to the .260 with good results. 7-08, 6.5 C.M, .243. Look at Hodgden load data online for load data on the .260. Good luck.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Used it in 7-08 and .243. Have a great load for 260 with H4350 and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Have also had great results with ramshot hunter in 7-08. More consistent than Staball but 150 fps slower.

Recent Posts