Powder Coating bbl action?

Black Diamond 408

Ok guys, gurus...i have a customer that wants to powder coat his 308 chrome moly bbl. It takes 450 degrees to do the process, any one did this or think it may damage the bbl. Nitre Bluing is 450deg also, just never done it on rifle bbls, just small parts. Has anyone did this or heard about it being done?

Can't help you on the gun parts, but I have a few friends who have done up their big surf rigs. IF you want I can get you the contact info for the fellow who is doing the work for them. He might be able to shed some light on it.

Have you guys ever considered the TiAIN coating? Have a look on the web it works really well.

Black Diamond,

Is the 450 degrees F or C?

AISI 4130 chrome-moly is tempered at temps as low as 480 C (900 F). If it was 450 C I would think it could definately affect the microstructure.

Do you know or can you find out what specific chrome-moly the barrel is made from, and possibly what tempers or anneals it has seen?

Carl

I have since found out that Powder Coating is being done on barrels. Rifle barrel steel is 4140, tempered to 1100 deg. You must take extra care in plugging the bore and chamber area, Powder coat will seep in the smallest openings. You cant use tape because of the high temp.

I have also looked into using the Tialn coatings for my Alum actions, It is sprayed on in some sort of vacuum, may work for a bbl, but an action might not get full coverage, so says the tech staff.

Have you given any thought to duracoat?

Don't know if it's as robust as powder coat but is sure easier to get along with. Doesn't seep or run, but I'm using an airbrush and doing plenty of design things. Not flat patterns. Just a beginner though.

Ah, the challenges /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Roy:

My finish of choice for metal has been the "Gun Kote" The only way you get it off is to sandblast it. You can run it through a air brush, camo patterns as well. 300 deg in a oven for 1 hour is the cure time. I have done several 45 autos, rifle actions, works good and is very abrasive resistant. You can get it in almost any color.
Gun Kote website

On stocks i like to use the Wrinkle Paint, very durable, just takes about two weeks to cure out properly.

Its all fun tring to come up with new styles and designs.

450F is about 230C you should be ok on barrels at that, but i wouldn't go much higher.
I was looking into exactly this subject about 1 year ago when searhcing for different coatings to offer on my custom rifles.
I currently have a company who do me TiAIN applied at 200C.
I also have chrommoly actions Nitride treated accasionaly.
I got a bog box of cerakote in a few weeks ago and will also be using that. gunkote works but isn't all that tough.
regards Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.