Powder clumps

Critter Picker

I had something happen yesterday I've never seen before. I have a buddy that I'm teaching him and his son to reload. He has been buying a lot of stuff at gun shows, yesterday he comes over with a brand new (looked unopened) 8# jug of accurate 8700 powder. when we poured it in the powder measure and tried to put some in a case it bridged. So I take the measure off the stand and we get a funnel and dump the powder out of the measure. It bridged in the funnel. We looked closer at the powder and there were pea sized clumps of powder. It smelled good and looked good. So I ran it through one of my wife's sieves, broke up the clumps and it worked fine.

My question is have any of you ever seen this before? What caused it? Obviously the previous owner didn't store it properly. I've been loading for 50+ years and never had this happen. I have powder on my reloading shelves that is probably older than a lot of shooters on this site. Stuff marked $6.85 per pound. Still works fine.

Yes, I've seen ball/ flake powder clump up. If you live in a humid area it happens. Put it back into the can and shake it up good. If it sets in a loaded case over time it will clump up. Doesn't mean it won't shoot well. If you want to experiment, load up some748, 2520 type powder at full load with bullet seated with slight crush. Let it set for couple months. Pull the bullet then try to pour out the powder.