Powder Choices

Breman7

First let me say hello. I have been lurking a few weeks and decided join. It seems like there is a lot of knowledge and friendly folks here willing to help.

I am new to reloading but I have been shooting and hunting since I was old enough to follow my Dad around. My son 15 year old son has finally taken an interest in shooting and hunting and I wanted to start reloading so we can shoot more but also spend a little more time together. I have begun to get the tools and material together start reloading. My neighbor is retired military and a firearm fanatic. He reloads and is going to take me under his wing and help me get started.
I will be reloading for 2 .30-06's shooting 165 gr. and a 7mm Rem Mag shooting 150 gr. and would like to get one powder that would work in both calibers if possible. My research has shown that IMR 4350 and RL 22 are popular in both calibers so I am going to buy some of each. My neghbor uses RL 22 in his 7 mag but doesnt load for .30-06. Are there any other powders I should try? I know the rifles are individuals and this may not work but I am willing to try.
I am not looking for the ultimate in velocity or accuracy just decent accuracy and constistancy for a hunting rifle.
Thanks,
Chris

IMR and H 4350, H4831. My love affair with RE-22 is about over, its a double base powder so its more tempature sensative than a single based powder, which in itself isn't that bad, you can adjust for that, but the lot to lot variences is atrocious, so I'm going to either H-1000 or retumbo in its place.
RR

Don't forget imr4831. It has done well in several calibers from my wifes 243, 270, and my 7mm rem.gun)

Thanks for the help.
I will get some imr4831 and see how it goes. Thanks for the info on the RL22 I live down south where it can be 30 degrees in the morning and 70 in the afternoon of the same day. Consistancy is one of my major concerns with our weather fluctuations.

I have to agree with Ridge Runner. I have some loads with RL 22 and RL 25 that I love but if I go shoot a load in the summer that I worked up in the late fall my groups sometimes move as much as 2-3 inches one way or the other. I have come up with some excellent loads with both but I'm just about done using them. I have had good consistency with Hodgen extreme and Vihta Vuori powders. In my 6mm Rem with 85 grain Sierras and 30-06 using 150 grain Nosler Accubond's I get super groups with VVN140. I also get the best groups in .222 Rem,.224 Weatherby, 204 Ruger, with VVN133. Great Velocity too. I'm gonna give the Ramshot powders a try Hunter and Magnum to try to see if I can replace RL 22, and RL25 with them.
Good Luck!

I almost tried Ramshot magnum, till I saw its a double based powder also, temp sensativity isn't bad in itself, you can adjust and shoot the same velocity in hot weather buy cutting the charge a bit and using some simple precations to keep your ammo from getting really warm. its the lot to lot varience of the RE powders I refuse to deal with.
RR

I would look at Retumbo. Works great in my 7STW, 300WM, 300 JAZZ, 25-06
Have not used it in a 30-06, but don't see why it wouldn't.
RETUMBO is the best all around powder I have found for speed and low ES.

Thanks for your suggestions.
I talked to another friend who reloads and suggested h4831 as well. His pet hunting load for his 7 mag uses this and Nosler bullets, but he doesnt load for .30-06 either. So I think I have a good place to start, and advice coming from everyone is leading me the same diection.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.