Powder choice

What powder would you guys recommend for 162gr A max bullets in a 7mag? Specifically extruded?

I assume you mean 7mm Rem Mag?

If so, RL-22

I've tried a bunch of different powders and I've had the best luck with RL-22 and the 162gr A-max and 160gr Accubond. Drive them to around 3000 or a little more and be impressed.

AJ

Either what AJ recommends + you may want to give IMR 7828ssc a try unless AJ as tried that one with that bullet. RL-22 is pretty faithful.....

Either what AJ recommends + you may want to give IMR 7828ssc a try unless AJ as tried that one with that bullet. RL-22 is pretty faithful.....

I've never burned a kernel of the IMR 7828 or the SSC version. I've heard good things about it, but never used it.

AJ

"Back in the day" I had good luck with IMR 4350. Of course it's faster than 7828 or RL-22...more like RL-19.

IMR4350 is what my bud has been using for the 139gr SSTs. But he is going to go up 168gr MKs or 162gr A-max's and we are thinking that a slower burning powder is going to be the ticket. After doing som more research last night and with the replies that I got here, we are going to give RL22 a try. we just need to figure out which of the two bullets are going to be used!!:) Thanks for the help fellas. Being new to this sport, im sure you guys are going to see alot more questions from me.

I'm having great success with H1000 in my 7WSM . You should also look into H4831.

I've used IMR-4350 for 15yrs in my 7mags.It's a great powder and one I recommend.I started using Reloader-22 in my 7mmSTW last year and liked it.I decided to try working up some loads for all my rifles so I can use either powder.I have been impressed with the slightly tighter groups I've been getting with Reloader-22.I'm now getting more one ragged holes than ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts