Powder choice: 260 Remington and 130 gr Accubonds

fireroad

Looking for guidance on powder selection for the 260 Remington using 130 gr Accubonds. I am using Norma brass and CCI BR2 primers loaded to M700 short action mag length and a 24" bbl. My research has shown that H4350 seems to be the go to powder, but it's one of the few that I don't have. My choices are H414, IMR4350, RL17, and H4831sc. I am trying to accurately achieve 2800 fps and only have time to mess with one powder this season. I'm leaning towards H414 but was hoping to hear about some experiences with all powders mentioned.

Disclaimer: I understand results may vary by rifle, always start with the minimum load, and no poster is responsible for the data they provide. I have 6 years reloading experience.

I have had quite a bit of experience loading my Model 7 Remington in 260 with a Hart barrel. My gun has a 1in 9 twist and it does not like the 130 Accubonds as well as it does some other bullets. My gun shoots the 120's extremely well.

However that did not keep my from trying to get it to shoot the 130 Accubonds. Since Nosler makes the bullets I followed their load data in Manual #6. They data shows that RL-19 is the most accurate powder with the 130 Accubonds. I have worked up loads with RL-19 from their listed starting loads up to max and slightly above. I know that you don't have RL-19, but from my experience it works great for velocity and if you have a 1in 8 twist you should get your gun shoot this powder accurately. As far as velocity is concerned I have gotten 2900 ft/sec with the 130 Accubonds. My gun has a 22 inch barrel.

I have also loaded H4350 using 129 Hornaday SP's, RL-17 using 120 Barnes TSX's and Hunter with 120 Nosler Bt. Right now I have this gun ready for a deer hunt loaded with 120 Nosler Bt and 44 grains of Hunter.

I just checked the Nolser web site and it looks like that you could go with either H414 or H4831. I think that either of these powders will work and since you are on a short time frame you could just load with H414 and see what happens.

Your 24 inch barrel should help you get to your 2800 ft/sec goal with ease.

Work up with the IMR 4350. It has been in my experience that they all work well and are with in a couple grains of each other.

Shortmagman - What kind of luck did you have with the 120 gr TSX? If the Accubond doesn't work out that will be my second choice (probably the new 120 gr TTSX though).

RT2506 - What kind of results were you getting with IMR4350? Seems like it use to be a really popular powder but has since fallen out of favor for H4350 and RL19 in 260 rem (same for 243 win too, alot of H414, RL17, and H4350)

I have tried both 120 TSX and TTSX. I loaded the TSX bullets with RL-19, 47.0 grains gave me 2875 ft/sec and 47.5 grains produced 2914 ft/sec.. The accuracy was good but not great.

With the TTSX bullets I loaded them with RL-17. 44 grains produced 2952 ft/sec. with good accuracy. I have never been able to get great accuracy from RL-17 in most of my guns. The exception is my 300WSM. It shoots 168TTSX bullets quite well using RL-17. You have RL-17 so this could work for you. Most of these powder produce good results in the 260 Rem.. The Nosler Manual #6 data showed that the most accurate powder with the 120 grain bullets in Hunter. I have found this to be true in my gun. 120 Sierra Match and 120 Nosler BT's have shot great. Five shot groups are around 1/2 inch. I have shot a three shot group of.85 at 300 yards with the 120 Match and a three shot group of around one inch at 300 yards with the 120 Nosler BT.

When I reported some of the results with my 260 Rem. I used chronograph data that I keep on my computer as my source. The topic got me interested in going back and looking at some targets that I all ways keep.

I found a target shot with 130 Accubonds and H4350 that is very good. A three shot group that measured .35 inches. From the looks of the targets I worked up the load and my last three shots produced this very good group. I have 15 rounds loaded with 43.5 grains of H4350 in RP cases, WLR primers, with an over all length of 2.80 inches.

I don't know why I stopped shooting this load. I know that I did not chronograph them so I shot the group and forgot about it. I am glad that you brought up the topic which forced me to look through my targets and loads.

It has been my experience that IMR, H or AA 4350 is about like Ford , Chevy or Dodge. Take your pick they will all get the job done but they drive just a little different. The 130 AB is a tough bullet. I shoot it in my 264 win mag and it is accurate and holds together after expansion and does about like the partition. For deer size game out of the 260 Rem 3000 to 3100 fps velocity the 120 ballistic tip does a better job for me. My buddy used to shoot the the 260 I shoot the 6.5X55 same velocity same powders just a tad more of the powder for the 6.5X55. The 120 and 140 Sierra game bullets are real killers also.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.