potential winter project and accompanying trainer

SoDak636

So, as much as i love my .308 i want something better suited for ELR targets and long range hunting so I'm looking at building up a Savage in either .338 RUM or .338 EDGE and I'd also like to build a .22-250 with a fast twist(1:7 or 1:8) barrel built close to the same specs.
This is what I'm thinkin for the .338:
-Stevens 200 donor in .300WM/7mmRem
-McGowen 28" Pac-Nor#7 threaded 5/8"-24TPI
-JP Enterprises Tactical Compensator or APA "Fat Bastard" brake
-Rifle Basix trigger set at 2.5 lbs
-Stockade Elk Stalker stock
-EGW 20MOA base/ Burris Xtreme tactical rings
-SWFA SS16x42
-CDI dbm bottom metal(.338 RUM)

If I go the EDGE route the rifle will be a single shot.
Opinions or thoughts?

Sounds like a nice build. Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Upgrade your trigger from Rifle Basix to Jewel. I have two buddies that have had multiple Rifle Basix triggers 'fail'. I have Jewels on two fo my rifles and they have performed flawlessly.

2. Set your trigger to 1.5lbs rather than 2.5

3. Rather than build a 22-250, move up to a 243/6mm cartridge. With a 243/6mm you can shoot better BC bullets.

Forgot to list the stockade .250" recoil lug. I've also considered the Timney trigger, and from what I've ound they don't make a Jewell trigger for the Savages.
The idea of a fast twist 6mm of some flavor has crossed my mind but the .22-250 has quite a bit of potential and is a little cheaper to shoot then a 6mm.

That is one thing i have been taking into consideration about the .22-250 since the places i shoot can have some very bad winds, shooting through valley clearings in the hills.
I have been tossing around the idea of building a .243 WSSM with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist barrel and shoot the 105's and 115's, but it'd have to be a single shot because of feeding issues with the WSSM rounds

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.