Potential for a 7mm Rem Mag with a 1:10 twist

Ianmcgrath97

First off, I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this post is misplaced or unusual.

I just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Synthetic in 7mm rem mag after comparing it to a couple other contenders at the gun counter. Now I'm just waiting on it to arrive. In my research, I found that most rifles in 7mm rem mag had a 1:9.5 or a 1:9.25 rate of twist. It wasn't until after I placed the order that I realized the Weatherby has a 1:10 rate of twist. How will the slower twist affect accuracy? And how will it limit my choices in bullet types/weights? And since I'm here, when I test different types of ammo to see what my rifle prefers, what should I try? (I'm planning on testing mostly premium ammo, and maybe some cheaper ammo for breaking it in and general 'plinking')

I bought this rifle because I'm leaving for college soon and I wanted my own multi-purpose rifle before I'm on a college budget. I'm also going to the NRA Whittington Center in Colorado where they have a 900yd range I can take advantage of. I'm hoping I made a good decision on the Vanguard because I'd really like to see that sub-MOA guaruntee hold true at 500+yds!

Thanks!

-Ian

First off, I'm new to the forum, so I apologize if this post is misplaced or unusual.

I just purchased a Weatherby Vanguard S2 Synthetic in 7mm rem mag after comparing it to a couple other contenders at the gun counter. Now I'm just waiting on it to arrive. In my research, I found that most rifles in 7mm rem mag had a 1:9.5 or a 1:9.25 rate of twist. It wasn't until after I placed the order that I realized the Weatherby has a 1:10 rate of twist. How will the slower twist affect accuracy? And how will it limit my choices in bullet types/weights? And since I'm here, when I test different types of ammo to see what my rifle prefers, what should I try? (I'm planning on testing mostly premium ammo, and maybe some cheaper ammo for breaking it in and general 'plinking')

I bought this rifle because I'm leaving for college soon and I wanted my own multi-purpose rifle before I'm on a college budget. I'm also going to the NRA Whittington Center in Colorado where they have a 900yd range I can take advantage of. I'm hoping I made a good decision on the Vanguard because I'd really like to see that sub-MOA guaruntee hold true at 500+yds!

Thanks!

-Ian
You will be limited in bullet weights around 168gr and less depending on bullet shape and design. The 168 Berger VLD and 160 Nosler Accubond would be good options.

HSM loads factory ammo with the 168 Bergers, and Nosler loads factory ammo with the 160 Accubonds. If you buy the Nosler ammo, keep the brass, it will be good to have later on when you start reloading.

Also, it's a rare shot, but it does happen on occasion, when you find a factory rifle with factory ammo that is consistant and accurate enough to shoot 500+ yards routinely. Handloading for a rifle will give you a much better chance at precision at those distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.