Potential downsides to fast twist barrel?

Very good discussion! Thanks to all who have contributed.
With my limited mind. I don't think there is such a condition as over stabilization. Can we spin the bullet too fast for conditions, absolutely we can but that does not mean that the bullet is over stabilized. It means that the bullet failed in its construction at the speeds we are pushing them.
We have in several instances reached the point of failure in the integrity of the bullets. Several factors contribute to this failure. Rough bores or throats, possible long barrels which heat the bullet more as well as air resistance heating them. Remember Hornady discovered that their plastic tips were heating up and failing at high speed and distance from air resistance.
When I wrote post #2 I was simply stating a fact. I was not stating that bullets do not fail because we are spinning them too fast. Simply put we need to optimize the spin rate/twist to match the bullet we select at the speed we intend to shoot it at.
As we push the envelope of the ballistics and projectiles we use we will find their weak points and find ways around them hence the monos. I am not convinced that the RPM rate causes the bullet to approach a distance target at a
drastically different attitude than a slower one that is only barely stabilized. I would need to see more proof than the video provided. I am not saying he is wrong just that I personally need more evidence. I think a bullet will always approach a distance target at a nose up attitude until it is unstable or falling straight down.
We are so used to thinking in terms of Revolutions per Minute and Feet per Second till I think we need to think in the same measurement of time. RPS and FPS. An example is a bullet at 3200 FPS with a 1/8 twist is 4848 RPS.
I also wonder if heat from air resistance is not playing a larger roll in bullet failure that we first thought. I suspect that the bullets are getting very hot at the speeds that are causing complete disintegration. Think space shuttle tiles. I have also been convinced that a fully stabilized bullet will have better terminal ballistics than a marginally stabilized one. Steve at Hammer Bullets backs that up. There is a difference in terminal ballistics and accuracy. Just because a slower twist will shoot more accurately does not mean that it will preform better terminally.
I admire those who test the limits not just talk about them. Thanks JE.
Henry

I've read several posts/articles and videos on twist rate and the terminal side. All support a faster twist does better terminally. Bullets open up better and tend to track straighter and makes a better hole displacing and destroying more tissue. That and there was some discussion about I can't recall if this is the proper term but radial KE, KE generated from the spin of the bullets

I've read several posts/articles and videos on twist rate and the terminal side. All support a faster twist does better terminally. Bullets open up better and tend to track straighter and makes a better hole displacing and destroying more tissue. That and there was some discussion about I can't recall if this is the proper term but radial KE, KE generated from the spin of the bullets
I'll take a stab at the word you maybe looking for lol, would the term be "Centrifugal Force"?

What if you go to slow and then you have to shoot mono bullets by law? I saw something where California is maybe going to require lead free at ranges indoor and out. I hope this isn't straying to far off subject.

Just because a slower twist will shoot more accurately does not mean that it will preform better terminally.
And just the opposite can be true, I've heard many varment shooters say they like to use fast twist barrels because of the splat factor on gophers and P.D.
I've also asked the question about the guys who claim Berger bullets blow up on game if there running say an 8 twist fast in a 30 cal for example and no one has responded.
I've never had a Berger fail from short distance to a long ways, but I'm also in the camp no reason to spin a bullet no more than necessary.

A gain twist distorts bullets.Especially long ones. It is common knowledge that a barrel that loses a little twist will shoot poorly. A barrel that is slightly gaining twist are supposed to shoot very well. I do not have the instrumentation to see if a barrel is gaining or losing twist. This is theory but I would think that a barrel that gains about a 1/8 of an inch twist would be the best. I read about a barrel maker in Canada that was making gain twist barrels. His name was Morrison if I remember correctly. Photos showed the rifling at the base widened out. To me that would not be desirable. S&W uses a gain twist in their 460 revolver but those are short bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.