Post your built Remington 700 BDL with standard barrel--

Debating if I should get a Remington 700 SPS and add a stock and trigger.

Can you post your 700 with standard (not heavy) barrel and share its performance at the range?

the last Remington I bought shot 4.25" five shot groups with near perfect hand loads. (most were closer to five inch five shot groups). The barrel would have to be recut to be junk; it was that bad! The bolt was fairly square, but the head space was off by almost .070". The chamber was cut off center and at roughly a seven degree angle. The sock was their synthetic with the alloy bedding block that maybe had 25% contact. I slugged the barrel after giving it a Calfee look see. The muzzle had a bell mouth, and there were several tight and loose spots. The female threads for the barrel looked like a tapered pipe thread.

We trued the action, and recut the threads to where they ended up being about a 1.093"-20tpi. I cleaned up the bolt seating area on a B&S #13 grinder to get rid of a large burr the bolt was seating on. I did install an M16 extractor and modified the ejector pin and spring. For the barrel, I started with a 26" tomato stake. I cut (with a hack saw) about 2.5" (may have been 2.75") off the big end, and about three inches off the muzzle to get a 20" barrel. I then machine the barrel threads to be a tight fit in the receiver. From there I lapped the two together with #7a lapping compound. I reamed the chamber with a national match reamer, and recrowned it. The bedding block was a mess. I recut it with a ball end mill, and then lapped it about four thousandths smaller than the receiver diameter. Worked perfect. The next nightmare was the trigger. I went thru three before I got a factory trigger that worked.

First groups were about .75", but by the end of the day I was shooting .50" groups. Next time out I was shooting .40" groups and every once in awhile I'd get in the 3/8th's range.

This was my last Remington, and will be my last one.
gary

In true internet fashion... here's a gun you didn't include in your question. A bone stock 700 MTN Guide ADL with a pencil barrel. 4 shots from the mag without waiting for a cold bore. 100 yd Group was shot with hand loads made for another rifle too.

Attachments

• 243 ss mth guide.jpg
    243 ss mth guide.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 49
  • mtn ss guide.jpg
    mtn ss guide.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 50
I am changing my plan and getting a Sako A7- finished gun out of the box without the $1700 price tag of the Remington North American Custom. And it has all the items I want!

Factory .30-06 barrel. Receiver was bedded to a Brown fiberglass stock 30+ years ago. So far it has accounted for two white tail in North America. In South Africa, it has accounted for a blue Wildebeest, Baboon, Impala, Kudu, Gemsbok, springbok, zebra and 4 warthogs.

Good luck

Jerry

Here's some targets from my 700 BDL SS chambered in .300 RUM. It does now wear a B&C Alaskan Ti and I had the trigger worked by my smith when I got it 14 years ago. Factory barrel, and it's a j-lock rifle besides that. The target and meter cover were shot with 200 grain Accubonds. The target was a zero check before hunting season, 3 shots at 100. It'll group 5 **** close to that regularly. I shot the meter cover at 950 to see if it would hold up. First shot is the low one, then I corrected and fired the next two. 190 VLD's shoot well also. Hope your Sako does as well. mtmuley

Attachments

• DSCF0081.jpg
    DSCF0081.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF0063.jpg
    DSCF0063.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF0536.jpg
    DSCF0536.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 67
I am changing my plan and getting a Sako A7- finished gun out of the box without the $1700 price tag of the Remington North American Custom. And it has all the items I want!

That's the bottom-line!

I love my SAKO M995 in .300 WM ...

2013-11-09_16-14-47_775_zps557d41dd.jpg

SAKOs are absolutely awesome rifles. I harvested a MT elk in 2013 at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD handload. The rifle as seen is all factory except for the custom made muzzle brake. :Dgun)

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

That's the bottom-line!

I love my SAKO M995 in .300 WM ...

SAKOs are absolutely awesome rifles. I harvested a MT elk in 2013 at 931 yards with 190 Berger VLD handload. The rifle as seen is all factory except for the custom made muzzle brake. :Dgun)

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

I really like your truck, I like where you hunt, but your taste in firearms is questionable :D (I base my assessment solely on being a diehard Remington fan, and only shooting a sako 7 mag that actually performed pretty **** well.)

Remington all the way!!

I really like your truck, I like where you hunt, but your taste in firearms is questionable :D (I base my assessment solely on being a diehard Remington fan, and only shooting a sako 7 mag that actually performed pretty **** well.)

Remington all the way!!

Unlike you, I have a "variety" of choices including Remington; variety is the spice of life. :rolleyes::cool:gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.