POST FOR A FRIEND

demarpaint

Hi and thanks in advance,

I have a buddy that asked me to post this for him, (no access to WWW). He has a 700 Action; Magnum bolt face and is looking to build a custom rifle to "reach out there." He doesn't want to use a muzzle break and likes the long barrels. We shoot together, and he is looking to shoot targets and critters out to 1000 yards and better. I suggested a 300 Tomahawk but he wanted other suggestions. The Tomahawk is best with a muzzle break anyway.

One thing is for sure, the best long range shooting info comes from this board!!!!!

Thanks for the help
Frank D

I heard a story that one time Dave King shot his 338 Lapua with no break and snot came outta his nose.... but he ain't all together there.. i think he likes pain....

Whats your buddy have against breaks....

IMO 300 winny is the smallest to go with for 1K but you might need a little more horse power.. you won't or shoudln't think of Elk sized game at 1K with it....

I never saw somebody get the snot knocked out of them by a gun but I know one guy had his fillings shook loose by a 338Yogi. And Crowmag thought that was funny too!
smile.gif

RBrowning
It must have been the brake that shook your fillings I know it was not the recoil from that 338 Yogi
grin.gif
grin.gif
I don't think I would shoot the Yogi with out the brake it is only 35lbs.
Crow Mag

Come on guys, I shoot my 416wby with 400 grainers sub moa accurately all the time, it don't have no brake..... yet!
grin.gif
It's a body shaker for sure and one you need to work up to! I shot my 338wm for a long time with 250 X bullets going very, very fast with no brake long before I went there.
wink.gif

I would recommend the 300 Rum, 300 Tomahawk as well. 338/300 Ultra Improved would be a nice rig using the 300gr SMK too! Going all out, get a 34-38" barrel.

Brakes are just so sweet, talk him into a threaded one, only remove it the first few rounds he fires through it first, then put it on and try a few more... I don't think he'll take it back off again unless he absolutely has to.
grin.gif

Here is my most recoil in one day .I shot my two 338 win mags 300 times with 200 gr bullets .Then I shot my Remington 416 s that weight 7.5 pounds 8.25 with scopes 150 times .I shoot from a standing bench off a milk crate with bull bags with two past pads for the 416s .Its very fun.I was alright shoot 125 of speer 350gr bullets at reduced 2400fps then I had to try my buffalo loads 410gr woodleigh bullets at 2500 fps .I shot about 20 then my shoulder started to sting and I felt mt eye move when I shot I stopped.You have to shoot the big guns standing.I shoot 1" groups with both the remingtons and my winchester model 70 express 416 rem mag.I have shot my 416s over 1600 times and only got stung once.You can have too much fun.I have never shot my 338-378 accumark without a brake some day I will.That gun has no kick about like a 270 if that.The worst kick to me is 7mm stw feels like a hammer too quick.And the 300 win mag is second.The 338 and up kick slower you have to let people shoot you gun to believe it.After people shoot my 416 Winchester they say it kicks like heavy dove loads standing .It takes practice but a standing bench is alot more useful in the field .

Noise was a concern with the brake, but the removable break is a possibility. Sometimes its the simple things like the removable break with the thread protectors you miss. I sure missed that idea! Thanks!

I was leaning toward the 6.5-06 Ackley, or Gibbs for a project for myself. His action is the Magnum bolt face. If building a Magnum start with a magnum action, that was always my feeling. In this case the 6.5's will be a problem, since some alteration will be needed and drive the cost up (ANY IDEAS HERE?) He is still uncertain at this point. Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming!!!!!!!!!

Frank D
smile.gif

null

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: demarpaint ]

Demarpaint

The noise problem with a LR hunting rifle with a break, in the winter time can be eleminated with the use of the "Peltor" tactical ear protectors.

Not only does it allow you to hear woods sounds MUCH further then you could without them, they also shut down the second the rifle is fired and then comes right back on. They also keep your ears warm.

It's a fact, the brake will allow "anyone" to shoot a high recoil rifle MUCH more accuratly at a target when using multiple shots. It also allows you to spot your own shot while hunting much easier.
Many at the 1000 yard matches even have breaks on their 6.5/284 rifles for that reason.

Accuracy and brakes go hand in hand even for the LR hunter unless he has a "heavy" 50 or 60# bench mounted rifle.

DC
wink.gif

WW

It was only a little snot... but it did however come flying out pretty fast!!!

That was a rifle the weighed in at about 16 pounds, we (I say "we" because others had the snot jarring pleasure of shooting it to!) shot the Sierra 300 SMK at 2825fps. I traded that rifle away TWICE and it came back after the shooters (whimps) fired a few rounds. A third fella has that rifle now, he's fired it before on hunts and isn't too whimp like so I believe it's found a new home.

I don't like using a brake because of the additional noise. I too have used the Peltor Tactical 6S earpieces.. Pretty nice system, uses sound compression over 80 something dB. I can still hear the round strike the critter using this system so I haven't lost any hunting feedback info. I do however wonder about the total protection provided by the system, I do believe I'm still loosing some hearing.

I believe I'd go for a big 30 caliber before heading off into the big 338 caliber(s).

Interesting line here, any comments on whether those brakes are hard on scopes? Only rifle that I have with a break has gone thru two good scopes, same problem, two different brands. Question about if scopes can withstand the forward impulse well since they are designed for recoil going one way.
confused.gif

Ian

Never had a problem with any of the muzzle breaks on the 16 1/2 LB rifles at 1000 yard matches where multiple shots are fired.
My wife would not be able to shoot 15 to 20 rounds with that rifle in that length of time. I don't like recoil either and anyone who says they do, has never shot in a 1000 yard match and with multiple rounds fired from a high recoil rifle.

My wife and I both shoot 300 Weatherby's with 210, 220 and 240 gr bullets. The scopes we use are the Leupolds and we have NEVER had a problem to date.

I also use the Peltor muffs during the matches. Works fine for hunting too.

Later
DC

Shakey

You don't really have to "think" about it, after the first shot fired from a high recoil rifle, your group will many times double in size at 1000 yards, especially when attemting to keep 10 shots in the bull.

If hunting, and only one shot is fired, could be a different story.
I always said, a hunter with a trophy in his sights could stand behind a "howitzer" and pull the trigger and he "may" not feel it.
Adrenalin rush.

I really don't believe anybody likes to put up with recoil if it honestly thumps you.

Brakes shrink groups in high recoil, multiple shot senerio's. No doubt about it.

Later
DC
wink.gif

Shakey As an add on here---What's this about "grooved" bullets I see you promoting?

We had some years ago from Norma or Lapua, I don't remember which and they didn't do very well at Williamsport?

Have they (the ones your promoting) been tested at 1000 yards or further or are they not designed for that yardage?

[ 03-18-2003: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

DC,

Tests are being conducted and will be conducted on the effectiveness of Groove Bullets at long range. Once the tests are complete I can then give you details.

So far, at closer distances - to 300 yards - they definately have accuracy.

Once I receive more info I will pass it along.

Don

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.