Possible New State Record Mulie

I might add that I think all trophy bucks killed in the midwest that eat off corn or alfalfa fields during antler growth should go in a separate record book also because that is not a natural habitat! Yeaa Right !

Some of the people making comments have never been to west tx,let alone hunted it. They aren't really doing anything all their neighbors aren't doing. It's not really much of an advantage,so much as keeping yourself from being at a disadvantage. I greatly prefer hunting on public land because it is truly hunting,but out here when I am ready to fill my freezer then I put a bag of corn out. Not the same and don't enjoy it as much but it is affective,and not many other options round here.
I would love to see a public land record book!

What a bunch of envious cry babies. Sounded like game management to me. How's it working out for y'all letting the state doing all the game managing for ya.

Game management on ONE specific piece of property with the sole intent of growing a record buck...and then getting special permission to kill it out of season...I'm glad other states don't allow that type of BS "management".

Game management on ONE specific piece of property with the sole intent of growing a record buck...and then getting special permission to kill it out of season...I'm glad other states don't allow that type of BS "management".
Here is how it works. Land owners who work with and sign contracts with the texas parks and wildlife have extended seasons. Land owners who present the state a approved wildlife management plan that may include such things as brush control, watering site development, food plots etc. Land owners must turn in a estimate or count of the deer population and sex specific once a year and the state sets the number of Deer that may be harvested every year on that PRIVATE property. This state/private program has greatly increased the quality and and quantity of Deer in Texas in the past 20 years. Normal deer season in Texas ends the first week of January but on the managed private ground it ends the end of February. Just took my son last week deer hunting on a good friends managed private land. As far as trying to grow record bucks you are suggesting that they try and grow Dog Deer? I will assume Adam that you do not understand the meaning of the word "management".

I think many people, ok most people, tend to fixate on the hunter, instead of the animal. I try my best to stick to the original intention of the Boone and Crockett club, which is to recognize the animal, as a way of tracking conservation efforts in a particular region. As long as it was harvested legally, and wasn't a high fence operation, I have no problem with the methods that are used in that state. Not everyone hunts the same way, and that's fine.

Where I live they dont call it high country muley for nothin
WP MF.jpg

Wow a lot of opinion. I know Greg. I grew up in West Texas and have met Greg on a number of occasions as he owns a successful outfitting business there. He seems to me to be an ethical guy and hunter, and That was a hell of a buck. Funny the buck in the second pic was taken on a Texas Parks hunt in Yokam dunes-and I think it was a Big Time Texas draw hunt--so yeah it is a 100% "free range". I have found that most people that scream from the top of their lungs free range spend more time worrying and less hunting. Oh I'm from Texas too, and I've climbed hills for Desert Bighorn and Aoudad here and stand hunted highfence and open range for Axis and whitetail....and I have enjoyed it all. Hunting is more in your heart and soul and less a mindset.

Nice buck, if it has been artificially fed, or raised in a high fence environment until it became a "trophy" buck then its nice to look at I guess but it doesn't qualify in my book as a free ranging Muley that has had to survive hunting pressure,drought,predators and the things that a truly wild deer would have to overcome to attain a rack like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.