Possible New State Record Mulie

It gets better
They couldn't turn the buck up, so they used a helicopter to find where he was holed up...

"
The deer was spotted in the area during a mid-October helicopter survey.To boost his odds, Simons created a vantage point by fashioning a makeshift spotting platform in the bed of his pickup using a 12-foot step ladder anchored with ratchet straps."
Anywhere else you just have to wait a day after flying and your good, sounds like a two week difference, don't see how this is any different than anywhere else in the states.

Protein pellets
Well water
If you do this in a desert the animals are no longer free range, they arent leaving that ranch.
Then you add the special season
Then you add a helicopter to find the buck, not a game survey.
It's an amazing buck, but it's no different than putting a bass in a pond and feeding until you have a new world record, igfa wouldnt verify and boone and crockett shouldn't either.
Okay, Think I see what you're saying, it's unethical to kill a animal that drinks water from a well, eats extra protein, is killed during special season or is counted during a game survey.

That's unfortunate because it makes the vast majority of hunters into the unethical. That includes any hunter that hunts in a wheat, corn, soybean or alfalfa field during bow season, special youth season, muzzle loader season, special late season hunts, etc. That would include people who hunted over water sources or wallows. Oh and don't forget people who hunt where game cameras and aerial surveys are legal, but obviously, to you, are unethical.

There's no Whitetail in B&C that would be fair chase or "natural" by those standards. I don't know anything I've hunted that hasn't been on cow chow, mineral and water, hard pressed to find anyplace in the West that would be "natural", maybe the Frank Church or middle of the Bob. There is litterally developed water sources in every corner of the west, enhanched pasture and spraying, fenced of riparian areas you name it there not much ground out there where a deer is going to be all natural!!

There's no Whitetail in B&C that would be fair chase or "natural" by those standards. I don't know anything I've hunted that hasn't been on cow chow, mineral and water, hard pressed to find anyplace in the West that would be "natural", maybe the Frank Church or middle of the Bob. There is litterally developed water sources in every corner of the west, enhanched pasture and spraying, fenced of riparian areas you name it there not much ground out there where a deer is going to be all natural!!

A bit different when those whitetail go from land to land eating crops that are planted for human consumption.

Not quite like water in troughs specific for deer, feeders with horn growth supplement in multiple locations, cameras, helicopters, fences, special seasons, private hunting reserve, etc etc etc...

How anyone thinks it was a 100% free range, fair chase, and not a genetically modified deer is just beyond me. That's some Pelosi thinking or something.

Okay, Think I see what you're saying, it's unethical to kill a animal that drinks water from a well, eats extra protein, is killed during special season or is counted during a game survey.

That's unfortunate because it makes the vast majority of hunters into the unethical. That includes any hunter that hunts in a wheat, corn, soybean or alfalfa field during bow season, special youth season, muzzle loader season, special late season hunts, etc. That would include people who hunted over water sources or wallows. Oh and don't forget people who hunt where game cameras and aerial surveys are legal, but obviously, to you, are unethical.
That's exactly what I was saying
Except I never mentioned ethics
Good for the guy who grew the buck but it ain't any sort of record

You literally just described every farm in the mid west! Many plant feeder plots for the deer, put out supplements have feeder, trail cams, every thing possible to enhance that deer they just don't have 40,000 acres for the deer to wonder around on!

Again nonsense, false analogy. Every western state has mule deer herds that are impervious to the agricultural development and water improvement for livestock. These free range mule deer live on public land and can't be hunted via helicopter nor hunted over bubblers or pellet feeding stations.
Call this buck what It was- a pet that was fed, watered and groomed until ready for a selfie with some deer farmer from texas

Again nonsense, false analogy. Every western state has mule deer herds that are impervious to the agricultural development and water improvement for livestock. These free range mule deer live on public land and can't be hunted via helicopter nor hunted over bubblers or pellet feeding stations.
Call this buck what It was- a pet that was fed, watered and groomed until ready for a selfie with some deer farmer from texas
I cant think of any mule deer in western Mt that doesn't benefit from improved water and feed from some ag or cattle.

There are PILES of B&C records thatbare held by animals that have never been on public lands in generations, not part of their criteria. Dont get me wrong, Id live to see a public lands only book!

A helicopter to find ONE specific deer isn't a game survey. You're from Texas huh?

Read the article. Nothing fair chase or "natural" about any of it.
"I don't know you from Adam" so I can't say what motivated you to get so excited. All you know is what you read in a newspaper article. So what you repeat is third hand and you imply it was a helicopter trip to find one deer, when it was a 40,000 acre game survey. I'm sure he marked the map where he saw that buck and hunted that area first, who wouldn't? You ever scouted preseason to located a specific deer? Especially a buck like this, that he been seeing for six years?
Hell yes, he's gonna try to kill the deer of a lifetime, but he's broken not a single game law in doing it, so some people try to pin the "unethical" banner on him. Seems I've seen this same theme on TV news lately.

Yes, I'm from Texas and you're from California, maybe that explains things.

All you have to do is read the B&C Position Statement and everything is addressed, I don't see anything that would be an issue, the plane comes close but even in their statement it's fly, then land and kill just the act of flying at some time has no bearing. A High fence would disqualify it, live imagery would disqualify it but I saw no mention of his fencing situation or if the trail cameras were a live video feed or not. There is nothing about private vs public lands, feeding won't effect it's eligibility either, so really doesn't look like there an issue with it other than some are butt hurt that it's not done their way, I guess B&C don't really care either cause very few book animals would fall under what many are saying here, maybe someone needs to start a Naty Big game scoring system and book!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.