POssible new shotgun

HockeyDad

Right now Cabelas has an 1187 Sportsman for $599 or a Weatherby (I assume SA-08) for $569. Any thoughts on which is a better gun and/or value? Thanks in advance.

At one time I had both an 1187 trap gun and a standard 1187 with synthetic stock. Both gun functioned flawlessly. We do quite a bit of duck and goose hunting. Never experienced problems - in the field gun I shot everything from inexpensive game loads to magnum goose loads. The gun never missed a beat. Biggest thing is to periodiacally take it apart and clean it. No experience with the weatherby.

I personnally don't think you could go wrong with the Remmy. I own both an 1100 and 1187 and have had minimal issues (replacing O-ring and the 1187 shell catch depinned)
Neither one is my go to gun for waterfowl or upland anymore, but they are solid firearms.

At least with the 1187 there are an abundance of gunsmiths knowledgeable on the repair and the parts are re
adily available.

I've heard good reviews for the Weatherby, but have never shot one.

My recommendation is shoot what fits the best and I wouldn't count out the used shotgun rack. You might be able to get into a Gold/SBE for not much more than that price.

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.