Possible New Bullet Venture

My suggestion is not to bond the nose core to the jacket for a couple of reasons. First, others have had less than stellear accuracy at long ranges with bonded bullets. Next, IMO, the nose should expand and completely depart from the back end leaving a cylinder shaped projectile with a blunt flat surface. This will produce more permanent wound channel and cavitation than a round mushroomed frontal. Shrapnel from the nose can cause collateral wound damage. If you want a mushrooming front end you would be better off with a homogenous core. With dis-similar metals, essentially a 2 part core, in order to get a mushroomed shaped bullet you would need a partition type construction.

As I already mentioned, I'm not in favor of tips. They are basically a crutch. You don't see tipped bullets in competitions. They add variance to the bullets. There are a number of HP bullets that readily and reliably expand and they produce the best BC's and accuracies. It would be nice to see them expand down to 1600 fps or less, especially the heavier ones. Like everything, there will always be two crowds on this.

I'm with Riley on plastic (probably because of our experience with Sierra's tips) and my experience with my pocket knife.

Good luck with your 6 reinstatement. Times have changed and not for the better. The sequestration has adversely impacted all paperwork flow. The BATFE is no exception.

I especially like (and use) the Cutting Edge removable tip system, a very nice selling point for an already expensive projectile.

My suggestion is not to bond the nose core to the jacket for a couple of reasons. First, others have had less than stellear accuracy at long ranges with bonded bullets. Next, IMO, the nose should expand and completely depart from the back end leaving a cylinder shaped projectile with a blunt flat surface. This will produce more permanent wound channel and cavitation than a round mushroomed frontal. Shrapnel from the nose can cause collateral wound damage. If you want a mushrooming front end you would be better off with a homogenous core. With dis-similar metals, essentially a 2 part core, in order to get a mushroomed shaped bullet you would need a partition type construction.

As I already mentioned, I'm not in favor of tips. They are basically a crutch. You don't see tipped bullets in competitions. They add variance to the bullets. There are a number of HP bullets that readily and reliably expand and they produce the best BC's and accuracies. It would be nice to see them expand down to 1600 fps or less, especially the heavier ones. Like everything, there will always be two crowds on this.

This is spot on. No to fully bonded or tips, especially plastic. They just don't get it done for me.

Jeff

Jeff...

Choice is what makes the world go around......I think at least. I prefer a ballistioc tipped over a non tipped projectile.

amen to that make a large 375 bullet and let kirby test them in the 375 allen magnum and at the very least royinidaho will buy them.

Kirby had a thread "Boosting the BC of commercial bullets" that might have something useful to someone looking at bullet businees.

Not sure actually. The Sierra's I load and the Hornady's I load all are ballistic tipped. The Sierras meplat is a PITA for the most part and the V-Max are red plastic, no issue for the most part. The driving force for me is Sierra. All their offerings have a dissimilar material for the meplat. The solids are considered non-hunting bullets. I have 'em both btw.

Just habit and form follows function I guess. For off the shelf components, it's usually Sierra or Hornady and special ocassion bullets are Cutting Edge...very special considering the price per box and sometimes, the wait time.

I'm really not adverse to a non-tipped bullet, I just don't load them as a rule....and being an old fart, I'm kind of stuck in my ways.

My suggestion is not to bond the nose core to the jacket for a couple of reasons. IMO, the nose should expand and completely depart from the back end leaving a cylinder shaped projectile with a blunt flat surface. This will produce more permanent wound channel and cavitation than a round mushroomed frontal. Shrapnel from the nose can cause collateral wound damage. If you want a mushrooming front end you would be better off with a homogenous core. With dis-similar metals, essentially a 2 part core, in order to get a mushroomed shaped bullet you would need a partition type construction.

I didn't know about the bonding problem - great input! I can definitely make the front go into shrapnel and the back go on through producing an excellent exit wound transfering energy with a wide (and sharp) front end. I've found that too many bullets that fragment up front only create a wound channel in the first 1/3 to 1/2 of an animal with no carry through - or - little pieces of carry through like shot pellets that don't allow for the hemorrhage you need for a quick and humane kill.

Hmmmm, OK, I get your point about the tips. I can make a precise OTM no problem. See how that works and then go from there. Like I said in an earlier post, it's just a matter of physics to get the front part to blow up at a specific velocity.

Best Regards,

-- Peter

For me, any bonded VLD style bullet is ideal, preferably shaped like a Berger VLD. Another idea is to duplicate a Swift Scirocco but don't use a solid copper jacket. Tipped, untipped, doesn't matter to me. All the tipped bullets I've used kill just fine.

Heavy .375 seems to be under represented at the moment, wouldn't have to compete with berger on your first bullet.

375s are always in fashion, but the 35 caliber rounds are barely available if that is interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.