possible 6.5 build

31incher

So i have a r700 7mm rm that i thinking about rebarrel into a 6.5. Now my question is what cartridge to go with. I would like longer barrel life plan on shooting the 140 grain berger. So... what would you guys build?

If I was converting a 7mm Rem Mag to a 6.5mm, I'd probably do a 264 Winchester and accept whatever barrel life I got.

So i have a r700 7mm rm that i thinking about rebarrel into a 6.5. Now my question is what cartridge to go with. I would like longer barrel life plan on shooting the 140 grain berger. So... what would you guys build?

How about a wildcat the duplicates a .264 Win Mag but is easier on barrels?

What, exactly, is it you are trying to accomplish with your build? I am a huge 6.5 fan, but with your stated requirements, you are going to be taking a step DOWN from where you are with your 7mm Rem Mag.

If barrel life is a priority to you, you are going the WRONG way. When you reduce bore diameter, you will also reduce barrel life, unless you go with a smaller case. If you do that, you will be giving up a LOT of performance vs your 7mm Rem Mag. Going to the trouble of building a custom rifle to reduce your performance level doesn't make much sense in this scenario.

You could go with something on the order of a 6.5 SAUM, which will give decent barrel life if you don't lean on the throttle. But, that is still taking the long way around to get performance that will not be a step up from your current rifle. Unless there is something you don't like about your 7mm Rem Mag, why not simply build it up?

What, exactly, is it you are trying to accomplish with your build? I am a huge 6.5 fan, but with your stated requirements, you are going to be taking a step DOWN from where you are with your 7mm Rem Mag.

If barrel life is a priority to you, you are going the WRONG way. When you reduce bore diameter, you will also reduce barrel life, unless you go with a smaller case. If you do that, you will be giving up a LOT of performance vs your 7mm Rem Mag. Going to the trouble of building a custom rifle to reduce your performance level doesn't make much sense in this scenario.

You could go with something on the order of a 6.5 SAUM, which will give decent barrel life if you don't lean on the throttle. But, that is still taking the long way around to get performance that will not be a step up from your current rifle. Unless there is something you don't like about your 7mm Rem Mag, why not simply build it up?

Because I have another 7 mag that's shooting .4 moa. I have always wanted something in the 6.5 and was just thinking this action might be good to have as donor action sense I'm not using the gun much anymore. I have also want a larger 338 cartridge as well. Maybe save the action for that build down the road.

what do you got in mind? I might just sell the gun and put the money into a build.

I have a Dave Mansen ream for 6.5mm. It looks like a .257 or .270 Weatherby without the belt. I started with a 9.3X64 case and necked it to 6.5mm and had Dave leave the neck about 1/4" long. One of my shooting buddies told me, "So you re-invented the wheel on the .264 Winchester." "Yep." My objective was to use it in the small Weatherby action which is 1.140" diameter instead of the the larger diameter of 1.350" like everyone else uses.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts