Portable Shooting Bench

chillippr

I have a location on my Pennsylvania farm that is suitable for 600 yd. shooting, but don't want to go with a permenent shooting bench. Who do you feel builds the best portable shooting bench from the standpoint of stability? I am interested in load development and serious practice. Thanks for your help.

A fellow by the name of Jim Berfield 570-748-2055 in Loch Haven, PA makes a great portable shooting bench. The bench is really designed for long range hunting but it is solid and nice to shoot off of. He incorporates a dandy rest into the design. I like to shoot standing up so even with the legs fully extended it is solid. Jim is also one of the nicest people you will meet. Hope this helps. Sam.

I use both heavy and light portable shooting benches to make longrange groundhog kills in PA. Without a doubt, the heavy bench is MUCH better for shooting.

No need to buy a bench because they are very easy to build. My heavy bench has a double 3/4" plywood top, 3 cast iron plumbing flanges on the bottom to accept legs and threaded pipe legs of appropiate length.

You can get fancy and angle the flanges out a bit for additional stability and design a bracket for the bottom which holds the legs when the table is taken down. You can also fashion adjustable length legs by using a smaller diameter pipe inside a larger diameter pipe and use a set bolt to lock them at any length. This really helps when the table is on uneven ground.

I painted the whole set green so that it is not obvious when I leave it afield when taking a break.

Check out COYOTE JAKES benches. Very steady and stable, sets up in a couple of minutes. Light enough to carry by yourself.
Highly recomment this bench, have used a lot of portable styles, commercial and homebuilt but like the Coyote Jakes the best. He has a website, think it is www.coyotejakes.com

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Sam,
Do ya got any pics of this bench your referring to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Berfield's Bench:
[image]
019_16AJimsNewTable2.jpg
[/image]

JB

Good Gosh, what you say? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
$500US was the last number i knew of...

JB

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your input fellows. Gives me alot of food for thought this coming winter so I'll be ready for spring.
Farm is in Wilmore, PA. I live in Virginia and don't get up to the farm as much as I'd like, but with retirement not too far off that may change.

Chili -- looks to be about 1.5hrs from me, so let me know if you need me to go take care of any hogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

Thanks for posting that pic. I have everything but the chain and gears on hand or easily accessable. I will definatley be putting something similar to this together soon.

With the evac we went through week before last and deciding on what to leave here for the looters, we did some house cleaning upon return. I managed to turn up a couple of nice table tops that were stashed away behind some sheets of plywood we had for storm window decorations. A couple of leg sets and away we go.

Thanks again,

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.