Portable shooting bench recommendations

RB II

On my most recent prairie dog shoot, the guide had the Herters Deluxe shooting benches and they were very sturdy and provided a great shooting/seating platform. The problem is that I can't seem to source any new ones. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendations on benches that are sturdy, collapsible, portable and solid platforms/seats are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance

That's the best model I found for portable shooting benches. I have a few. I could let one go, but shipping would be terrible high.

Yeah, I am thinking about the shipping being outrageous. No places have them retail?

Used these for years. Cheap, light, compact, more than solid enough and very comfortable. Standard White banquet table with folding legs. Find the tables easier to get up and down from, shooting angle is easier to adjust, amenable to left or right shooters and chair can move back and forth to accommodate shooter's size. I also like having a back on the chair for thoose long days in the gopher fields. The truck makes for great shade when it is hot out.

Cabelas still sells the Herters Bench they just list them under a bunch of different names. They are 200 Canadian.

1686239180823.png

Last edited:

saw good write ups on these, and just got back in production. Was going to buy one, but had to get another because in a hurry.

Also see you are in Texas and so are they so might work.

When going to an area where I think I will get a lot of shooting and don't need to move too often I will use the RASS System and have extras like an umbrella and side table.

When moving around Chuck or PD Hunting I use the chair in the pictures. It's about 40 years old and was made by a guy in PA. I rebuilt it and painted it. It is light and stable. Sit a little lower to the ground, but comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0304.JPG
    IMG_0304.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 101
would you be interested in building one ? if you are I could take some detailed pics . I built this one . the legs screw off . the seat is solid . I've used a plastic 3 step ladder for a stool ,much lighter , it worked well , and does fold .

Attachments

• P6260418.JPG
    P6260418.JPG
    873.9 KB · Views: 243
On my most recent prairie dog shoot, the guide had the Herters Deluxe shooting benches and they were very sturdy and provided a great shooting/seating platform. The problem is that I can't seem to source any new ones. Any help with that would be greatly appreciated.

Also any recommendations on benches that are sturdy, collapsible, portable and solid platforms/seats are greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance
If you are looking for a GREAT shooting platform for PD hunting the RASS is a way to go. I have got to SD and when finding a PD Town set up this RASS where I had yds in any direction. I was using a .204 Ruger with 39gr SBK and a .223 with 50gr Zombie (ZMAX Hornady), 55gr SBK and 65gr SGK.
The RASS is a bit heavy, I carry it in my Duffel Bag from the USMC. One of many hunting trips for PD and Chucks I set it up in a field in NE PA and had 600yds+ in about 290 degrees field of view to shoot. I shot 19 chucks from 300-500yds in about 3 hours. This was in the same field! I also had an umbrella to keep the Sun off of me. Had other hunts in SD with the same. One thing about using the umbrella is that if it is real windy, it will shake the RASS other ise it is great to keep the Sun off of you.

Now the other shooting chair in the pictures are over 40 Years old. Thousands of Chucks were shot off of this chair. I can't remember the name of the builder, but he is long gone anyway. My second dad and best hunting partner has a new chair even though it is 40+ sitting in his basement. He does not hunt anymore and Hopefully I can get this other chair from him or his sons. He is in his 90s now. I always remember him pulling a pocket size note pad from is left top shirt pocket with all the farmers names and locations of chuck fields. He also kept a tally of every chuck he shot and what field. He shot thousands! I have many of those fields stored in my GPS unit for when I get back to NE PA.

Thanks everyone. I bought one from Cabelas, looks to be identical to the Herters.

I may build a couple as well. Tripod configuration possibly with Sched 80 pipe legs with an over-sleeve tight fitting pipe which will be attached to the 3/4" plywood top. They will be heavier and less portable than the Herters style but may well be stronger/more solid. Something to play with.

Years ago I had a gunsmith who was big into dogging(RIP). One thing that he preached was being mobile, much more than a heavy bench near the truck. He made his own, folding, wooden, still a little weight to it.

My 'system' is this 'Strutter' type chair, then shooting sticks. It's even more stable if there's something to put your back against, it's very portable. I don't even take a traditional bench any more.

https://www.scheels.com/p/browning-...QYASABEgI1jPD_BwE&src=google_shipping_control

Also with the low profile, much less intrusive, blend in very well.

I use to use a rotating bench/seat combo that worked really well, but stopped using it 3 years ago. I now use a tripod.

When the wind comes up on the WY prairie it can be really tough. I have a game cart that will allow me to move my gear from one location to the other including a folding seat. With my rig being portable, it allows me to reposition with what ever the wind is doing. My kill ratio has really gone up.

Starting off with the 17 HMR and later going to the 20 Vartarg. With the HMR suppressed, I'm able to get many more PD until I need to switch over to the 20.

I'll be heading out soon and will update this post with some photos of my rig.

No more tables for me.