Portable Fire Pit for Burn Ban?

roscott

Does anyone know if portable fire pits or raised titanium fire grills are allowed during the ongoing burn bans out west? Headed to Wyoming for some backpack hunting this fall and would really love to grill up some steaks after a successful day!

Winnerwell fastfold titanium stove can be run without the top so you just have a firebox.

That would give you a stove for heating a tent as well if you add the top and the stove pipe, just for a "two birds with one stone" option. Without the top and the stove pipe, as you'd run it as just a fire pit, she's likely very very light, I like the fold design of them as well, but I digress.

However, they do also have more basic firepits and even have grates and grills for them for cooking.

Winnerwell dot US for their website, I am not affiliated with them in any way.

Colorado burn bans last year included tent woodstoves in CO unless they are UL listed. That leaves out the Winnerwell and just about EVERY other camp-type stove, even with spark arrestors.

maybe because the same USFS runs the NF's in Wyo, too. So depending on the local SO's burn rating, the rules could very well be exactly the same. But my question is, why are we also getting blasted for ad's for chinese stoves when 'this guy is talking Wyoming'

I had a heck of a sarcastic response written up for that.

And then I reread the OP and realized he didn't ask for a suggestion on fire pits or fire grills, he was asking if they were allowed.

So, I was incorrect in my response, and it's a shame, because my sarcastic response was amusing.

Portable fire pits ARE ALLOWED under Fire Restriction 1 in WY as long as they have a shut off valve on the device. Shut off on the tank doesn't count.

Why don't you call the USFS office that manages the area you plan to hunt. It doesn't sound like you know if there is a fire ban or what stage # fire ban is in effect. Each stage has different restrictions. You could be in one that allows open fires in fire grates at designated USFS campgrounds or one where smoking, welding and cutting torches outside are prohibited. Or maybe your area doesn't have any restrictions.

Check the county you plan to visit. A quick google search for that county's fire ban stage will tell you what you need to know- also check regularly as those restrictions change with conditions.

Also, in WY Stage 1 does allow open fires (wood) in developed campgrounds that have steel forest service fire rings. When I called them over the Labor Day weekend this is what they told me because website kind of contradicted itself to me so I just spoke with them over the phone. Agreed, CALL the local Forest Service office in the area you plan on going.

Recent Posts