portable barrel vise?

ssphoger

I need to build a portable barrel vise.
I may be taking my 700 Switch barrel to Africa I have a 7mm mag and a 375 H&H barrel ,
I use a Hart type action wrench and wood block bench mounted vise now.
Weight is a issue!!!
I only torque the barrels to 100 flbs they are greased and lapped so they come apart easy.
I was thinking of a 2"X 1/2"X 2' alu. bar with wood barrel blocks bolting to the end.
Anyone done this or something that works.
Thanks

I use a davidson barrel vise for my f class rifle. I bought the vise (aluminum) and bolted it to a 2"x2" steel tubing. I slide the tubing in the reciever hitch on my truck. I have a very stable and strong vise. You might could do something similar. If weight would have been a big issue, aluminum tubing would probably been used.

Here's the one I make.

7075 aluminum, rolled threads on the studs, big castle nuts for a crescent wrench.

DSC_0018-5.jpg

I'd be equally nervous about quoting it:D

Truthfully I'd need about $500 for another one of these. My long term objective is to duplicate it in steel and have them color cased. Then charge stupid money!. . .

. . .and probably not sell a single one of them!

Oh wellz right?

500 bucks...not surprised. It looks like a lot of machining to make that. On the otherhand if demand was enough maybe a CNC type set up could bring cost down...Just a thought. You'd know better than I.

Last edited:
I built a portable barrel vise and portable action wrench for a hunting buddy to make his Savage a switch barrel.

I met with him in his state and showed him how to use it with my Savage rifle.
I took the barrel off and put it back on.

5 years have gone by and I don't think he has used it.

It took a long time to hog out parts from 2x2 steel.

But I did learn the error in the McFarland book design for Mauser action wrenches.
But I did learn how to make a portable barrel vise, so I made another one as an action wrench for round receivers.

Well I put this together today.

P1010457.jpg

the metal is 2" x 5/8" Alum. the long piece is 24" long, with Walnut blocks and 5/8"x5" bolts
total weight 4 lb 10 oz with wrench
Granted this won't take a factory barrel off but mine are laped and tightened to 100 ftlbs with grease on the threads they come off easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.