Porcupine down

Timely thread. I just killed one in our yard last night. Probably my first ever. He pushed his luck too far.

When I was a kid, NH had a bounty on them. Bobcats, too. 50 cents a nose for the porcupines. Destructive on fruit trees, tool handles, even the side of a building. I remember many times as a kid, we'd hear them at night chewing on the side of the house and holler down to Dad, who'd go out and blast them. You had to hit them in the head. Body shots didn't count. I remember hearing of my aunt pumping a full box of 22s into one and it kept going. I saw my Dad shoot one in the body from a few feet away with a 30-06 with hunting ammo. The thing kept going, dragging its entrails in the dirt.

That was in the 60s. At some point, NH stopped all bounties, and I've been glad to see them wandering around our yard. They don't bother me, I dont bother them. ALthough I do have to be careful to not trip over one in the dark walking between buildings. We've nicknamed a couple of them "Chompy", because mostly they just chomp away on the grass all day. They seem to come and go. Supposedly, fishers know how to flip them over and attack their belly, so maybe that's why they periodically disappear until a new one shows up again.

We have had one or more hanging around for years. Several years ago, I planted some really nice apple trees. The best I ever had. There weren't even any known "local" porcupines at that time. The first night, the porcupine(s) hit them hard, girdling them and climbing up in them and eating off all the branches. I put a steel fence up around them the next day. That did no good at all. They just climbed the fence and finished them off. I was really ticked, but I restrained myself from going on a killing spree over it.

A couple years ago, we planted a couple more apple trees, not nearly (even after 2 years growing) as nice or healthy as the originals. I put up a 5-strand electric fence around them. All has been well. A couple "Chompies" have come and gone.

This spring a large female appeared and hung around, then there was a new little "Chompy" who spent the summer growing up all over our lawn. I was concerned he was so small at first he might walk under the lowest strand of the electric fence, but we had no issues. Mother seemed to disappear after awhile.

Yesterday afternoon, I looked out the window and realized there was a very large one INSIDE the electric fence perimeter. I went out and shut off the fence and took the gate down to shoo him out of there. That's when I noticed he'd completely girdled the best of the two trees. That did it for me! A 20 gauge shot to the head from a couple feet away and he was DRT.

I wondered if he might be good eating - after all, he eats nothing but the finest grasses and APPLE TREES. I knew the wife would have a fit over it, though, so didn't bother asking and I took him out in the woods for the fishers and coyotes to have.

On the electric fence, I think maybe the quills are not conductive on a big one with big quills, so maybe it's ineffective. Sure seemed to be for that big one. So I asked my wife if we're going to have apple trees or allow the porcupines to live, because, living in the deep woods, you sure can't have both. I guess we're leaning toward not trying to kill all the porcupines. If we had a dog, that'd be a different problem, but we don't. I had a dog once here and he got into a porcupine so bad we had to take him to the vet hospital to be anesthesized to get them all out.

So that begs the question - any of you ever eat porcupine?

Last edited:
Your quite the man just shooting to kill. I cant believe LRH IS letting this be posted last time something like that was on here it got taken off cause of all flack it got. I hunt too but this **** makes no sense. So sad so so sad. Suppose you threw it back in the woods. One day you'll understand.
Well, the "lefty" in the name and "Wisconsin" and the 12 post history may explain some of the outrage, but the OP made it pretty clear they destroyed his fruit trees, and dogs and porcupines just don't mix well. So I really don't think there's no justification for what he did. I prefer not not have to kill more, but I believe OP's position was clear and justified, especially if he's had to take out FIVE of them from his dooryard this year.

Last edited:
I've only seen one porcupine in my life it was in Pinedale WY and I was really surprised how big the thing was . We don't have any here in kentucky but this critter tried to get in lap last week while I was deer hunting LOL
20221015_192038.jpg

I've only seen one porcupine in my life it was in Pinedale WY and I was really surprised how big the thing was . We don't have any here in kentucky but this critter tried to get in lap last week while I was deer hunting LOLView attachment 404214
Looks like a POSSUM!

Possum it is lol. You may not believe this but I put a coon and a possum in a cage together once and the possum would back the coon down over food. Vicious little varmints if you can keep em awake.
Jill had several pet Possums. They would come in the garage through the cat door and she would feed them. Benjamin Button & Mickey Mouse. Samson got used to them and didn't kill or chase them (as far as I know) then Mickey stopped coming around later Benji stopped. Figured the coyotes got um.

In AZ, they paint the tree trunks white to delay the blossums to prevent freezing. I think you might want to try wrapping the trunk with roof flashing to prevent them from climbing. You'd probably have to trim the branches high enough that you'd need a ladder to pick apples.

I've only ever killed one and that was pheasant hunting in western South dakota. Walking a corn row and he just stood up out of his bed about 6 feet in front of me and caught a 12 gauge to the head. Never weighed him but compared to the beavers I regularly trap he had to be at least 40 pounds. He's currently at the taxidermist waiting on a form for a full body mount. I did feel bad afterwards because I learned that they are quite tasty and I didn't save any of the meat.

Your quite the man just shooting to kill. I cant believe LRH IS letting this be posted last time something like that was on here it got taken off cause of all flack it got. I hunt too but this **** makes no sense. So sad so so sad. Suppose you threw it back in the woods. One day you'll understand.
My dog has been quilled twice in the yard buddy, including quilled in the throat…..maybe you should read

You "hunt too?" I like how you think if you share one thing in common with anyone here, that justifies you responding to a member the way you did. You change your oil one time, and that makes you a mechanic? You have a houseplant, so you're a farmer? You have some rope in the garage, so you're a cowboy? You own a rifle, so you're a hunter?

I think not.

I'd explain why we kill what we kill, but you wouldn't understand anyway... because you aren't one of us.

...but you knew that already didn't you?

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Yep, I've seen that in the aftermath. It was a mess. Killed one with my bow in Colorado years ago got a spine in my hand trying to recover the arrow. We don't have them in the south thank God. We have raccoons. That's enough.
I don't know how far south they range, but we had one in our camp south of Abilene, TX last year.

That porcupine will fill up a dumb cows nose full of quills then the cow can't eat when on an open range that's a death sentence for the cow.