Poor man's grand

I have heard nothing but good things on both rifles. The 5R rifling though is supposedly the best factory barrel available. For out of the box rifles i dont think you can go wrong with either. My remington 700 SPS tactical in .308 shoots 180 grain SMKs into the same hole at 100 yards with its 20 inch factory barrel. If they make it 300 win mag that might be another rifle to check out.

I say you can't go wrong with either one. Both have HS stocks, and both are .300 WM with 26" stainless barrels. Both use a stainless/jeweled 700 action. The ONLY differences is one has a fluted barrel with 6-lands & grooves and has a gray/black stock, and the other uses Obermeyer 5R rifling, and has a green/black stock.

I have a 5R .308 Win, and 2 Senderos...I target shoot only with my 5R .308. And I hunt & target shoot with my Senderos.

If I had a .300 WM 5R (I'll have a barrel soon to put on my spare 700 magnum action laying around) I would most likely hunt with it, too, but I don't want to hunt with the .308 Win caliber when I have more effective long range calibers to hunt with.

Both will be equally tack-driving accurate from my experiences.

So, I guess it really comes down to fluted & gray, or non-fluted & green. :D

To me the 5R is more tactical, and the Sendero is more for hunting. But there's nothing wrong with either one for both.

Can't speak for anything but the sendero as I haven't held or shot the other rifle. I absolutely love my rifle with the exception of the hand position of the HS Precision stock and the way it puts my finger in an awkward manner over the trigger...your body isn't the same as mine though (I might have long fingers!). As for accuracy she's 1/2 MOA at 200 yards on an average day.

I installed a muzzle brake and jewell trigger, bedded the action, and lapped the scope rings. No action work needed.

I was able to go into Houston today and hit Gander Mountain. They had a Sendero in 7 mag. I was able to get a feel for the stock and weight. Both were really good. I like the palm swell and rough feel to the stock. The Sendero is a sharp looking rifle! From what I've seen so far the 5R is about $200 cheaper on a few sites I've found. I can't find one in any shops in Houston, Austin or SA.

Have you been to McBrides in Austin? Also, there is guns galore in Killeen and guns plus in georgetown. Guns galore has about 3500 rifles on there selves! I know McBrides has a section of their racks dedicated solely to rem 700s.

For break in! would any ole rounds work since I'm not looking at groups or anything? Cheapest loaded rounds I can find be ok? I don't want to burn up my bergers. They're hard to come by these days. What's your routine with a factory barrel?

My routine can sometimes be condemned by the masses...So I won't post it on here, because I don't wanna be blamed for screwing up someone else's barrel. I usually "drive it like I stole it". And alot of folks don't approve that method. They think you should be shooting 1 then cleaning, then shooting 1 then cleaning.....And blah blah blah. Out of the MANY rifles I've owned I have only done that to 1 of them, and it shoots just as good as all my others that I just started blowing rounds down range. So, to me the theory of "breaking in a barrel" is more of a heating/cooling of the throat process and not so much a copper fauling issue. :D

If it is a high-end barrel, I will usually shoot a shot or 3, then let it cool, then a shot or 3, then cool. And will do that for about the first 50 rounds or so.

I normally run a patch soaked in RemOil down the bore before I ever shoot it to make sure all the little metal chips and crap are gone out of the bore. Then I take it to the range, start shootin till it copper fauls, then I bring it home and clean it profusely with Pro-Shot copper solvent till there's no more copper or powder on my patches and they start coming out fairly clean. Then I run one more patch soaked with RemOil on it before I put it up just to keep the bore oiled.

And yes, you can use cheap ammo for break-in.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.