Poor experience with Manners Composite Stocks.

codyadams

I really hate that this has happened, because everything else I have heard about Manners is complete opposite of what I have experienced. I will also say that this is my first experience ordering a stock from Manners.

So I ordered a Manners EH1-A, inletted for a stiller TAC 338 action, Carbon six Magnum contour barrel, and Stiller CIP detachable bottom metal, in molded GAP camo, and confirmed my order on November 19th, 2017 (7 months ago) and the email said that I will receive an email requesting payment upon completion of the stock, prior to shipping.

So, fast forward 3 months, February 13th I receive an email stating that my stock is in finishing, and it will be finished and ready for shipment in 4 to 6 weeks. Awesome!!

Well, 15 weeks later on may 28th.......I hear nothing from Manners. I called in the morning to inquire about my order, and they stated that they could not find my stock, and would call me back. Well, they never called me back that day. The next day (29th) I pay for the stock, thinking that maybe if I pay them they will follow through with my order. The following morning (30th), I still have not received a return phone call. I call them, they answer, I ask the same question. They say the same thing, they will look for it, try to find it, and call back. Guess what, no return phone call.

May 31st I call back again, and when they say they will go look for it, I tell them that they said that the last two times I called and I have not received a call back and would really like to know the status of my paid order. They dig a little deeper, and tell me that it is STILL in finishing (more than 10 weeks longer than they said it would be) and will be shipped out Friday of the next week (June 8th). Well today it is June 18th. I called them again this morning, and guess what, they say they will call me back. I asked that they please do, because I have been told that several times and have never received a return phone call, email or any form of contact. The lady stated that she would call me back this morning.

30 minutes later, I recieve a phone call back, and she states that it is in finishing, the stock is done, and they are finishing up the cheek piece now. OK. I have a polite meltdown on the phone. I tell her that I am not upset with her personally, but I want to run her through the timeline of this stock. I tell her everything that has happened thus far. I say that this is my first order from them, and I am shocked because I have never heard about anything like this happening, and everything I have heard says that they have awesome customer service. I ask if something happened, if my stock got messed up and they had to restart, or what the reason for the delay is....and she has no answer why any of this has happened, but offers to expedite shipping when it is done later this week.

I am still confident that once I receive the stock I will be completely satisfied with the product itself....but the process getting here has left a rather bitter taste in my mouth. When someone says a product will be finished in 4-6 weeks, I expect them to either hold up that deal, or contact me if it takes longer for some reason. It really has been frustrating. At this point, when I need another custom stock, I will be going through someone else.

Man, that does suck. 180° from my experiences with them.

My last one was a flat top in stock. Told 6 weeks. 5 weeks later, it showed up at my door. Inletted for Lone Peak Fuzion SA, Proof Sendero, Badger M5 bottom metal. And finished beautifully.

I am sorry to hear that. Your story is pretty typical for Manners, it's not super organized. They have such a large waiting list that at times it's ridiculous. How do you like your stock that now you have it? I had to wait awhile for my stocks as well. Almost didn't have them for a hunt I was going on.

IMG_1065.PNG
Vestal had to send this stock back to manners to be fixed for obvious reasons. 375 Cheytac stiller 1.450 repeater proof 1.400 inlet I guess we will see when I get it back. Was supposed to have it next week. Sucks waiting

UPDATE

So....Monday the 25th came, and no stock, no tracking number, no phone call, nothing. I was done. I called and asked what the time estimate for a Manners EH1-A for a stiller action is. They stated 4-6 months. It had been over 7....

I asked to speak with Tom Manners, and told the lady on the phone my name and what I was calling about. They pretty much knew me by name at this point. She got Tom on the phone, and I ran him through the timeline. His reply was "Wow, let me go figure out what the hell is going on. I will call you back."

30 minutes later Tom called back. He stated that there is no reason for it to have taken this long, and it is still not finished, the final coating has not been done. He said the only thing he can think of, is that I ordered the stock with pillars installed, and usually with the Stiller TAC 338 actions, the person bedding the action is who cuts and installs the pillars, they don't normally install them with this action. So he thinks that the guys putting it together got confused as to whether to install the pillars or not, and then set the stock in the corner.....and there is sat, for over 3 months, with no calls to me to ask what I wanted them to do. So Tom apologized many times, saying that there is no excuse for what happened, and said he would personally make sure it got finished that day, and be shipped out on Wednesday the 27th, and would be shipped as fast as possible so I would get it that week.....and he also was refunding me $400 for the inconvenience and lack of communication, and asked that next time I need a stock to not order online or through the operator, but to personally call him for my order, and he would personally make sure that my stock gets done properly and fast.

I received the stock Friday, the 29th, and it is very nice and looks great, and a check for $400 was enclosed with the stock. Before, I said that I would go through someone else for my next custom stock. But, I do feel that Tom made the best of a bad situation, I got a $780 stock for $380, and he did not try to push blame aside, he stated that it was completely on them. While it sucks that I was not able to get this rifle built and put together for my good friend before he deployed to Iraq for his 3rd tour, it saved us some money and Tom did a good job making it right. I do think that I will give them another chance, and I honestly think that it will not happen again, and now at least I know that if something does happen, Tom is a good guy and will make sure that whatever happens, it will get taken care of.

The experience sounds terrible. Nothing worse than chasing a vendor that already has your money. However, it looks like Tom did his best to make it right. That gives me confidence with doing business with them in the future. Most companies would have just given you the "sorry for the inconvenience" answer and left it at that.

The experience sounds terrible. Nothing worse than chasing a vendor that already has your money. However, it looks like Tom did his best to make it right. That gives me confidence with doing business with them in the future. Most companies would have just given you the "sorry for the inconvenience" answer and left it at that.
I agree. It sucked not having the comminication that I feel is neccessary, that could have completely avoided the situation, but overall I think I will still order from them in the future.

Weird how you can build a skyscraper faster than a gun part.
Actually its pretty simple. I have made a fiberglass stock. From the wood pattern, the mold, layup, fill, inlet and paint. Its all hand work, theres not much a machine can do other than the inlet. Second is profit. There is not much profit in the custom gun part world so the big money stays out. Most are small family businesses and they are not getting rich. Now if you want to pay $2k for a composite stock I bet someone would make the investment in a serious shop and the tech to make them faster because at that point they could make real money. The custom stocks, actions, and barrels we buy today are a hell of a value. More than one person has asked why I dont get into the action business. When there are customs selling for $800 and less why would anyone want to get into making actions? I know how to make a composite stock, I have the materials here too. Mcmillan cant take my money fast enough, I'll never make another.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.