Polygonal rifling?

Inkognito

I'm inching closer to pulling the trigger on the build project on my Sako TRG-S. My gunsmith has been wanting to get me into a polygonal rifling barrel. I don't have any experience with polygonal rifling. My perception is that the it might extend barrel life? I've read differing opinions that it might improve accuracy, but I really do not see how. Is it just a matter of preference or are there some major considerations that I am unaware of? It is a .338 Lapua if that makes any difference. I am looking at a 1/10 twist although Pac-Nor has a 1/8 barrel listed on their sight for .338 Lapua. That seems a bit fast to me.

I have heard from most reports that there is a slight gain in velocity to be had,go for a 1-9.3 or 9.5 twist if you plan on shooting the 300's.

I don't have any hands on experience with it,but I had seen polygonal rifling on two muzzleloaders that were manufactured in the early 1800s. They were both 50cal and I would guess used 200-300gr projectiles, but thats just a guess.

I would think that although polygonal rifling may not be new it should be effective, especially in the recommended twist rates. Less shearing of gilding metal should make it easier to clean too.

If you decide to go that route a nice writeup with pics would be appreciated!

I do want to shoot 300s so I will look into a 1-9.5. I don't know who the barrel mfg. is that he gets his from. I'll ask about that. They are true polygonal rifling.

I've got a CZ82 with polygonal rifling. It was the first I had seen. Did a bit of reading and if you can believe all you read it should be a bit faster and a lot cleaner. You have to look close in the CZ or you'd think it's a smooth bore. Also someone else said that Glocks are polygonal also. For what little difference it makes here, the CZ shoots as good as any of my pistols of that design.

I do not claim to be an expert on Polygonal rifling and can only give my opinion based on what
others that have said that have had and used them and anything I have read.

None of the reports have been favorable compared to other types of rifling In accuracy and the
consensus seems to be that it does not have the control on twist that other types of rifling does
(It it not as positive as conventional rifling) and after getting worn it loses all control of the spin
rate on the bullet.

It is by no means new and seems to work well with lead bullets and at low velocity With slow
twist rates (Which may rule it out for LRH).

With less actual bearing surface it "Could" be a little faster and may offer some advantages for
full Auto rifles where accuracy is not the prime interest.

With the current quality of rifled barrels I See no reason to gamble on a rifling system that has
not proven it's self to the precision guys(Bench rest).

I like to try new things as much as the next guy, but to invest in a custom rifle and use a rifling
type that does not offer any gains over conventional rifling and longevity is unknown doesn't
like a good idea to me.

But, the more people that try it the more data we will get and maybe my opinion will change.

So I would recommend that you read as much as you can find on Polygonal rifling and make
your decision based on the general consensus.

J E CUSTOM

I don't know who the barrel mfg. is that he gets his from. I'll ask about that. They are true polygonal rifling.
How do you, or your gunsmith, know they are polygonal?
Gonal,, Hexagonal, Octagonal,,, etc.. These are 'sides' either flat or rounded at a larger radius than cal.
you can Google it.

Let us know who he's talking about, and why he thinks it's actually polygonal.

I stopped by Shilen the other day to discuss a new barrel for my 6.5x284.

The feller in the office was encouraging me to order their ratchet rifled barrel. I beleive he told me that they have reports that it bucks the wind just a little bit better.

I think I'll research this a little more.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.