Poll: brake or no brake, 6.5 prc 26", 9lbs

Poll: brake or no brake, 6.5 prc 26", 9lbs

• Yes muzzle brake

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • No muzzle brake

Votes: 36 43.4%

• Total voters
Brake or no brake, which would you choose for a 9lb bare rifle 26" sendero contour rifle in 6.5 prc?

Me personally I wouldn't go with a muzzle brake as I have plenty rifles right now with a brake. Would like to know cause I don't plan on keeping this rifle. Just curious as to what the majority vote would be.
Brake or no brake, which would you choose for a 9lb bare rifle 26" sendero contour rifle in 6.5 prc?

Me personally I wouldn't go with a muzzle brake as I have plenty rifles right now with a brake. Would like to know cause I don't plan on keeping this rifle. Just curious as to what the majority vote would be.
Most DSendero Rifles Ive seen like mine come with the BOSS system.Does this one not have it?

I would thread it for the brake and install a good one for several reasons.
Load development and sighting in at the range will be more pleasant.
Spotting your shots will be a lot easier for target and hunting. I know we all strive for the 1st shot hits but sometimes it doesn't happen. Knowing where your shot went allows you to adjust for wind, etc.
And also to use a suppressor. I'm getting one this year and plan on using it while hunting. My ears ring all of the time now and I don't want to go totally deaf. People that hunt in thick woods understand that you usually don't have time to get ready and put on muffs before the shot like you do out west. My hunts in AZ are lot more relaxed than a PA deer drive.

I'll jump on the "at least thread it" crowd. I like the brake at the range, but hate it while hunting since I'm terrible about having ear pro in the field... Then I got a suppressor... Sooo, brake or suppressor at the range, suppressor or thread protector in the field.

I'm personally a HUGE fan of the 419 Hellfire self timing brake, universal adapter, and Hellfire suppressor mount... options are totally open for whatever you're doing, but that barrel has to be threaded first!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Depends on an individuals sensitivity to noise and the amount of shots you intend to fire in a session. After a while the extra noise can be bothersome.
On a particular vermin control outing I took my braked 6.5-300WM and unbraked 340WM to use interchangeably so barrels stayed cool. After a while I quit the 6.5 and just used the 340, finding the added recoil a lot easier on me than the extra noise and blast of the braked 6.5...

Depends on an individuals sensitivity to noise and the amount of shots you intend to fire in a session. After a while the extra noise can be bothersome.
On a particular vermin control outing I took my braked 6.5-300WM and unbraked 340WM to use interchangeably so barrels stayed cool. After a while I quit the 6.5 and just used the 340, finding the added recoil a lot easier on me than the extra noise and blast of the braked 6.5...
I especially don't like a brake on a barrel shorter than 26". And when you get a brake on a 22" and less barrel, the muzzle blast is way more intolerable than the extra recoil of an unbraked rifle. I have a brake on a 28". It definitely makes it more tolerable the farther you get the brake away from you.

If the rifle's 10 lbs. naked, it's going to be at least 12+ loaded with a scope. A 6.5 PRC (I think) is similar in recoil to what a .270 or 6.5-284 would be. If it was a sporter-weight rifle, I'd get a brake but with the weight you're dealing with, I'd thread it and forget it.

I especially don't like a brake on a barrel shorter than 26". And when you get a brake on a 22" and less barrel, the muzzle blast is way more intolerable than the extra recoil of an unbraked rifle. I have a brake on a 28". It definitely makes it more tolerable the farther you get the brake away from you.
My brake is on a 29" bbl on the 6.5-300

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.