Poll: brake or no brake, 6.5 prc 26", 9lbs

Poll: brake or no brake, 6.5 prc 26", 9lbs

• Yes muzzle brake

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • No muzzle brake

Votes: 36 43.4%

• Total voters

DJ Fergus

Brake or no brake, which would you choose for a 9lb bare rifle 26" sendero contour rifle in 6.5 prc?

Me personally I wouldn't go with a muzzle brake as I have plenty rifles right now with a brake. Would like to know cause I don't plan on keeping this rifle. Just curious as to what the majority vote would be.

At the range or doing load development I definitely prefer a brake or suppressor on pretty much any rifle that will take one. When actually hunting however, almost always take the brake off. Great to at least have the option of adding a brake or suppressor though.

One of my 6.5 creedmoors has a Mack's brake on a 26" bbl. I bought another 26" 6.5 creedmoor and shot some of the same ammo thru both. I'm not recoil sensitive but it wasn't much difference between the two. I'm sure that the difference would probably be more noticeable in a 6.5 prc. I'm sure I would notice a large difference braked vs unbraked in my big 30 cal & 7mm stw but I haven't shot those un braked. I have two 26" 7mm rm, one braked & one unbraked. While there is a difference between the two, I don't find myself thinking that I wish I had a brake on the unbraked 7mm rm. I'm guessing the 6.5 prc is going to have recoil similar to a 308 Winchester. Glad to have brakes on my big guns. It seems more optional when unbraked recoil gets under 18lbs or so.

Brake or no brake, which would you choose for a 9lb bare rifle 26" sendero contour rifle in 6.5 prc?

Me personally I wouldn't go with a muzzle brake as I have plenty rifles right now with a brake. Would like to know cause I don't plan on keeping this rifle. Just curious as to what the majority vote would be.
9 lbs bare is pretty heavy for a 6.5
I hunt with a 6 lb 6.5 saum that's not braked, I put quite a few rounds through it no problem, I can spot my shots in a stable shooting position.
The only way I'd brake the PRC is if you're shooting matches with it and need really quick target acquisition

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.