Polishing your bore

Kroberts

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on polishing your bore with JB bore polishing compound or something similar. I'm starting I become a fan of doing so. At this point my factory savage barrel 243win has about 2200-2300 max loads ran through it with about 1000 of which were 58 gr at just shy of 4k fps. Now I'm using 95 gr at 2980 which it typically puts 5 rounds into 3/4 Moa at about any range out to about 1k yards. But after about 300 rounds it starts to open up to 1.25 Moa. When I clean it I notice that the bore feels rough when pushing patches through. So I give the bore a few passes with the polishing compound and the patches go through much smoother and my groups go back down to 3/4 Moa. I Started polishing my bore when I switched to the 95 gr bullets from the 58s at about 1300 rounds. Since I figured the bore must have took some damage running that many rounds that fast. This barrel is getting changed out in a couple months so i'm going to keep polishing my bore until the new barrel gets in as long as I keep seeing benefits from it.

So what is everyone else's opinion on bore polishing? What are the positives and negatives you all are seeing?

Thanks
Kyle

I'm a little leery of over-polishing custom, after market bores, although I've used JB on some of my custom barrels. I wouldn't worry too much about polishing a factory Rem or Savage barrel with JB Bore Paste.

I'm tagging in to follow the discussion.

I like to use Iosso sparingly. I have observed what it does with my borescope and think it is less aggressive than JB. There are two versions of JB, Gray and red, red is finer.

I use bore tech eliminator and do overnight soaks often.

I will admit I am not fond of bronze bore brushes especially after reading that they can scratch the bore unless great care is used to employ the very best ball bearing handles on the rod.

Bore Brushing--How Much is Too Much?

K, just used JB on a 700 ADL .308 owned by my son's friend. The bore was rough after cleaning and it shot poorly. Used the JB's and bore scoped it again, big difference. Will shoot it soon as we find some decent bullets to load. I have used JB's on several factory barrels with great results. Like AZ said, sparingly is key. I also use the IOSSO if I find a carbon build up in front of the chamber. Like nylon brushes only, haven't used the bronze in years.

I wish I could get ahold of a bore scope around here to see my bore, if nothing else out of curiosity. I never knew there was different versions of JB. I've only known of the grey stuff. I think I've hit this bore about 4-5 time and every time it has seemed to help. Though I only hit it when the bore feels rough after cleaning.

Kyle

I shoot a 6mm Competition Match for Tac comps. I polish the throat and bore every 200-300 rounds with Iosso bore paste. At just over 3900 rounds on paper at 600 yards it held .4 moa 5 shot group. gun)

For one, you don't ever want to 'polish' a bore.
The 'J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound' does not, and will not hurt your bore with normal use. It's like IOSSO

BEWARE; do not get mixed up with J-B's actual polish, I think it's called BORE BRIGHT. This can polish and can mess everything up. I had a friend who made this mistake and instantly ruined his 25-06 barrel.

Something I have done with all new guns I have purchased,( factory barrels) seems to help. Before shooting I will give the bore a good, "regular" cleaning and then finish with some regular JB's. Then I will remove all traces of JB's and run patches with, "Wright's silver polish". I change the patches out every 10-15 full strokes. I usually do about 200-300 passes. Takes quite a while but, I'm convinced it helps. Maybe I'm crazy but that's what I do and all my factory barrel rifles shoot very good. I have used this process for the last 20+ years and have never ruined a barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.