Polar Bear Kill

Jerry Cunningham

I just thought others might be interested in this account. A local Eskimo hunter in Wales AK took a ten foot Polar Bear with a 22LR rimfire with one shot behind the ear at 20 feet. Killed it instantly. There is no doubt as to the credibility of this story. I know the guy and he is for real. This is the largest animal I have ever heard of being taken with a rimfire. I think the 22 is the most underrated killer in the world.
Jerry

Last edited:
Everyone loves a .22lr. Some folks are just plain NUTTS! Thats pretty neat, Ill bet he's a ledgend now. Aint it amazing what you can do with the tools at hand when no-one is around to tell you that you cant.
I personaly wouldnt try it, but you can almost see the childlike innocence of this story. A guy in a zone, waiting for just the right shot, knowing if he screwed up even slightly that he would never live to tell the story, but not letting it enter his mind, just focused on the task at hand.
Remember what it was like as a kid, daydreamin about saving the world with your bb gun. I think this guy just pulled off the equivelant, in the eskimo world.
Wow. Insane, but way cool! Got any pics?

Ask the SOG guys about the usefulness of a 22.

An check with Mussod (spelling) and Delta F etc.

I received some special .22 rounds from a security group. The design range was about a foot. And ya didn't need a suppressor for indoor work.

I am sorry. There are no pictures of the event. He did pull it off. He explained to me in the most simple manner that the 22 was the rifle he had at hand. He said he knew he would make the kill if he did his part. An amazing fellow! It took a lot more nerve than I have. I have seen a polar bear on the hunt and they are like land sharks. They have no fear. I can't imagine taking the shot.
Jerry

I've seen our butcher drop an 1100 pound steer with a 22lr, he dropped like he fell out of the sky with a well placed shot.

Goose
I never thought of that. I know that many butchers use a 22 to put their animals down. I read an article on Sniper Hide or Sniper Country where a person put 22 holes through a store bought turkey wrapped in several layers of cloth. The bullets when completely through at 200 yards plus. I believe he was using Wolf ammo.
Sincerely,
Jerrygun)

Top Predator
Your statement is the clear truth. The Eskimos use 22's and 223's on everything. I witnessed a polar bear kill about a month ago and it was taken with 223 hard ball ammo. The year before last a Musk Ox was taken with a 223. This is going on my fourth year in the Arctic and the people are very poor. They kill with whatever they have. It was not that many years ago when polar bears were typically killed by spears. It seems no one has told them that these calibers are not enough gun. A very tough people in a very tough land.
Jerry

A guy here in town killed a deer with a .177 cal air rifle.

Another guy shot a stray dog with a .20 cal Benjamin multi-pump and the pellet passed completely through the chest cavity, killing the dog. Neighbor was very upset.

Deer poachers in the deep south use .22WMR a lot as it is plenty powerful and doesn't make as much noise as a centerfire rifle.

Penetration capability of .22LR 40-grain and heavy pellets from a powerful PCP air rifle in flesh is rather surprising.

My .25 cal PCP rifle shoots Baracuda pellets through 1.5" of pine wood, or 3/4" of plywood. If you put a magnum primer in the mouth of a .25 cal hollowpoint pellet, you will blow a chunk of wood from the backside of the plywood. That's brainshot ammo with shock effect. It will shoot Baracuda pellets through 4 half gallon milk cartons filled with water. Try that with your .223 varmint bullets. Need I say that it will shoot through coyotes?

The special ops .22LR ammo was probably Aguila SSS 60-grain subsonic. It is a military designed round. Fairly quiet without a suppressor. I have several boxes of it. About as loud as my PCP air rifle, but a bit more fpe, even though probably slower out of a long barrel. I see it flying to the target. My CZ 452 isn't fond of it, but my brother-in-law's M77/22 shoots it very well. He doesn't need an air rifle, just a stash of Aguila SSS .22LR.

I have yet to recover a pellet from any varmint I have shot with the .25 cal PCP air rifle.

when my boys were about 7 yrs old , they had .22 cal chipmunk rifles. i was constantly trying to impress upon them the fact that .22's were lethal and not toys. One day i had one of the twins with me and stopped by my friends place who was a taxidermist. he was skinning a big male african lion that weighed about 400 lbs. it had come from a local zoo that had to put it down for some reason. When my son asked what he shot it with the zookeeper said a .22.....sure enough, there was a small hole right between the eyes. when we got home he ran and told his twin brother about it.....i ended up taking him down to see the lion also. This is when they finally got it through their heads that these ,22's were bad news!

I won't go into great detail, but growing up as a poor kid, the .22 LR put a LOT of meat in our freezers.

Wanna learn the value of bullet placement, use a 22 to get your groceries for a while!

Also as a poor kid growing up, I learned that the .22LR and .22 airgun were better than a shotgun for harvesting game birds for the table (ruffed grouse, mainly), provided you hunted them like I did (not Karamojo Bell style). The shotgun was for use with a flushing dog, which I also used some (pheasant, they will run/sneak away on the ground otherwise). Picking out all that lead shot and multiple holes in the meat, plus the unnecessary extra cost of shotgun shells if you are poor, meant the shotgun spent most of the time in the rack. The shotgun mainly got used in extra thick brush (rabbit terrain) where a bullet from a rifle had almost guaranteed deflection. Some of the #4 shot would get through to a rabbit in most cases. Thus, most birds killed with rifle, most rabbits killed with shotgun, opposite of they way most would use them.

On small game, the .22LR is a guaranteed pass-thru with a 40-grain round nose bullet and there is minimal meat damage. At close range in thick brush, the .22 Benjamin air rifle proved just as useful, and shot even cheaper. Might not pass-thru on a body shot of a big varmint (raccoon, skunk, porcupine, possum, groundhog, badger, etc.).

The best big game hunters are those that came out of a rimfire rifle background for taking small game and varmints, rather than shotgunners. The shotgun is quickly pointed rather than carefully aimed, which provides zero practice for precision long range shots, estimating bullet drop, and windage.

The new PCP air rifles are the same as shooting subsonic .22LR, and they often come with built-in suppressors. FX of Sweden makes a 12-shot semi-auto .22 PCP air rifle, with suppressor.

Used to kill quite a few deer with the 22lr, shoot them through the heart or lungs and give them a minute or so and they just tip over. Nice and quiet, clean and efficient. Worked good for getting rid of deer in sensitive areas.

I have some old video footage of polar bear hunting back in the reel film days that they have an eskimo taking a polar bear with a 222 at point blank range among many other animals like seals and walrus.

Used to kill quite a few deer with the 22lr, shoot them through the heart or lungs and give them a minute or so and they just tip over. Nice and quiet, clean and efficient. Worked good for getting rid of deer in sensitive areas.

I have some old video footage of polar bear hunting back in the reel film days that they have an eskimo taking a polar bear with a 222 at point blank range among many other animals like seals and walrus.

Isn't it wonderful how some people can set aside the potential risks in a situation and just focus on what needs to be done, while others in that scenario would do nothing more than stink up their undies?...........Gotta love it!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.