Points in Colorado- which draw is most likely to result in a tag?

Dammit! Drew a 1st choice muzzloader buck, with 1 point and now back to ZERO. Oh well, Mid September in Colorado with a smokepole ain't all bad! My buddy says: The DOW wants to remove all the deer before they reintroduce the big bad wolves into Colorado, [that us hunters/fisherman will probably pay for] to get at them before the hunter's :eek:🤣🤣:p🤣

No word either way on elk and antelope...

Last edited:
Dammit! Drew a 1st choice muzzloader buck, with 1 point and now back to ZERO. Oh well, Mid September in Colorado with a smokepole ain't all bad! My buddy says: The DOW wants to remove all the deer before they reintroduce the big bad wolves into Colorado, [that us hunters/fisherman will probably pay for] to get at them before the hunter's :eek:🤣🤣:p🤣

No word either way on elk and antelope...
Wait, I'm confused. I got a doe ML tag and I'm excited. As far as your friend's opinion, I'll just say it's just one persons' opinion.

Wait, I'm confused. I got a doe ML tag and I'm excited. As far as your friend's opinion, I'll just say it's just one persons' opinion.
I kind of didn't want that tag, but I had one deer point and didn't expect it?!
My buddy is an accomplished bowhunter and my fishing partner on what the DOW does. and I already took some commission people to task, yesterday, on the wolf "reintroduction"!

Brother and I are hopping to hunt unit 22 4'th season this year for deer we have 25pts it took 24 last year. we have 26pts for elk, going to use those in the next couple years. I just never had the time or took the time untill now.
Good Luck Big Johnson! Share the pictures of that TOAD!

Well, so far I've successfully drawn bear and deer for the 2021 fall season! No news on elk yet, which is the one I'm really hoping for. The problem is now that I may only be able to make one of them work, so if it's between deer and bear, I will likely get a refund for the bear. And if somehow I get lucky and snag an elk tag, I may just have to spend the entire back half of October up in CO rather than drive back for a week and a half between seasons. 😂
Depends on what deer unit you have there are OTC bear licenses too

In Colorado:
  • If applying alone...he who has the "most" points wins (will be drawn first)
  • If applying in a party...your party app is based on he who has the "least" points in your party (they do NOT use the average points in your party)
  • If you draw a license...you burn "all" of your points (ie. if it takes 2 points to draw and you applied with 11 points...you burned all 11 points)
Good luck!
a small clarification ... if you draw your 1st choice, you burn all your points.

I had 9 points and drew a 3rd season doe tag - it was my 4th choice, I now have a doe tag and 10 points.

Bear tags have been easy for me to get, usually a add on/OTC, but I drew a early season this year. I have 2 pts for deer also and have decided to only apply for early season or wilderness for them in the future because of the cost. Being from Oklahoma, I can hunt MD for less $$ and closer to home in NM. Elk is the better financial choice in Colorado for me, less $$ per pound of meat. But I really like having multiple tags in my pocket when I go out of state.

Brother and I drew unit 22 4th season deer we had 26 pts. This will be our first and only time we hunt colorado for deer , we have 27 elk pts. Waiting for the right time to go. Started applying when I was 41.
Good luck and have a great time! I'm looking at the Rangely BLM map and it covers the N part of 22 and it looks like the Douglas Pass map covers the S part. I read your post and it made me thankful that we get to hunt every year in God's country.