Points in Colorado- which draw is most likely to result in a tag?

Look at the stats from last season and you'll see, that there's a huge amount of people with double digit points, that are going to cash them in this year, which will bump everyone down, who would normally a tag for the required minimum points.

My buddy and I, both put in for moose point, but selected the wrong response, so that put us a year in the hole...no worries, I'l wait for a one time tag, just like bighorn.

I my self had 5 tags last year, from second choice hunts and leftover but, got messed on, because of the fires were in the units that I hunt mostly. As of this past Sunday, I have my second choice hunts figured out (early muzzle in units I haven't been in for a while), until I can get into the hills to see what the fire damage actually did?!

Try 110,118,123 etc for proghorn, that's not to far a drive from 501 and there is public land and plenty of pronghorn
Thank you to @GrayCreed, @cohunt, and @TRnCO!

Good info here, and somewhat confusing, but I'm still pretty new to all of the points/draw talk since I've been doing TX tags only my entire hunting hunting career until a couple of years ago.

I'm wanting to hunt first season in unit 501 for elk, and same unit for deer and maybe bear if I can. I have no clue where to try for pronghorn. From the points mentioned above, it sounds like the 2 points I have for all species I'm interested in will likely not get me a draw. Should I just try for all then and hope one sticks? I don't want to end up with 4 draws- I couldn't make the logistics work and my understanding is even if I don't end up paying for the tag I would lose my points. Please set me straight on any of this if I'm mistaken in my understanding.

I need some help deciding which tags to apply for this season- I have 2 points each banked for Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, and Bear. None of the season windows appear to overlap, at least for non-resident draw opportunities, so I would like to be strategic about which I apply for and which I bank some more points for next year. For example, if 2 points is likely enough to get me drawn for elk, I'd like to go for that rather than banking a point for next year and applying for something that 2 points isn't likely to get me drawn for (like a bear).

I can definitely get up there for one hunt this year if drawn, and might be able to make 2 happen. In terms of desire, I'd prefer Elk, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Bear in that order. What do the CO draw experts think a good strategy would be for this season with my tiny collection of points?

Any help or advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!
Not a chance for pronghorn but keep applying to get more points, goes for all tags. Cow tag is possible depending on unit, same for deer. No idea on bear.
Look at the Colorado game and fish website to find draw results based on preference points.
One strategy I've used before is to apply for a PP first choice and an underscribed unit for the species I want to hunt as second choice. Especially if I don't have any other definitive plans to hunt. That way, you get the new PP and don't loose PPs even if you draw on 2nd choice. Could even add a 3rd choice.

SO when I look at the stats for last year in 69, since we don't know which rifle season you hunted I looked at each rifle season, 2nd Rifle had 3 residents with 6 pp's(no one had more pps in this draw then 6) and all 3 drew the tag, 3rd rifle had no one with 6 or 7 pp's and only one with 8 and that person drew a tag, and 4th rifle had 3 people with 7 pp's and it shows all drew the tag. SO something is not adding up.

Once again, IF the draw was random a guy could see that reflected in the stats, where people with fewer pp's were drawing tags, and it's just not there.

jpfrog, the rules and regs. are a mess for this state, I can see why a first timer would be over whelmed trying to figure it all out. All the info. you need can be found the the CDOW&P website, it's just a pain to wade through it all.
As far as antelope go, I'd suggest you look to hunt the Commanche National grasslands in the S.E. corner of the state. Without looking I have no idea how many points are needed for NR, but that's the area I'd suggest since most everything else is privately owned on the east side of the state, although there are other public lands, but the Commanche is closest to you and it's big and has lots of antelope.
It's highly unlikely that you'd draw all four tags in one year with such a low number of pp's. Best I can suggest is pick an area and species and do some leg work to figure out how many pp's it will take for a NR to draw the tag and go from there.
Those numbers don't add up because in CO you choose the species and the season you want to hunt. Most PPs get chosen first until all PPs get used up. If any tags are left tags go to those without points at random.
It does get confusing.

I only posted the higher numbers of pp's because cohunt said he had 7 pp's last year and didn't draw a tag and people with 3 pp's did.
I didn't go all the way down the list of people with lower points in the same draw. I was simply showing that those with the higher points in that unit drew tags.

I only posted the higher numbers of pp's because cohunt said he had 7 pp's last year and didn't draw a tag and people with 3 pp's did.
I didn't go all the way down the list of people with lower points in the same draw. I was simply showing that those with the higher points in that unit drew tags.
Ok, I misunderstood. I just looked at the parks and wildlife (not game and fish) website briefly and couldn't find draw results from last year. It could take some digging to find that.

Also Colorado offers a lot of seasons you need to start with what species you want to burn your points for in 2021 then decide what Hunt dates works best for you're schedule then pick that season then look at what your options are for the amount of points you have.

Also Colorado offers a lot of seasons you need to start with what species you want to burn your points for in 2021 then decide what Hunt dates works best for you're schedule then pick that season then look at what your options are for the amount of points you have.
Yep- that was the gist of my opening question. Sounds like getting drawn for 1 species in the unit I want may not happen, so getting multiples shouldn't be an issue either. Elk I want 1st season, other than that I'm open and will plan my time off based on whatever I'm lucky enough to get. My main concern was if I should be worried about hitting multiples and if so, which should I target with the points I have and which should I just choose to accumulate more points for next year. But based on the replies, sounds like I should just apply for all and hope for a tag.

Ok, I misunderstood. I just looked at the parks and wildlife (not game and fish) website briefly and couldn't find draw results from last year. It could take some digging to find that.

I'm a born and raised coloradoan... I play the CO game! Here you go:

In Colorado:
  • If applying alone...he who has the "most" points wins (will be drawn first)
  • If applying in a party...your party app is based on he who has the "least" points in your party (they do NOT use the average points in your party)
  • If you draw a license...you burn "all" of your points (ie. if it takes 2 points to draw and you applied with 11 points...you burned all 11 points)
Good luck!

Well, so far I've successfully drawn bear and deer for the 2021 fall season! No news on elk yet, which is the one I'm really hoping for. The problem is now that I may only be able to make one of them work, so if it's between deer and bear, I will likely get a refund for the bear. And if somehow I get lucky and snag an elk tag, I may just have to spend the entire back half of October up in CO rather than drive back for a week and a half between seasons. 😂