Pointing your own rounds

While indexing off the ogives, trimming uniforms nose LENGTH -not meplat diameters.

Mike,

I see what you're saying here and technically, I agree. However, with conventional bullets being made on the same die, the nose shapes are all the same so indexing from the ogive results in uniform meplat. The only way that wouldn't be true is if the noses weren't the same profile, which is what you're saying here:

The only time trimmed nose lengths correlate with uniform meplat diameters is when ogive radius(your datum reference) is matched.

I suppose if you have a batch of bullets that were made on different dies, this could be a possibility.

Indexing off the nose eliminates the Base-To-Ogive variation.

-Bryan

I would also like to answer the people who asked what is being used to do this or more specifically "If AB was going to recommend one". I use the Whidden Pointing Die System, and so does Bryan. He actually helped design parts of the system, of course if we at AB were going to recommend one, it would be the one Bryan Litz had a hand in helping design, the Whidden Pointing Die System.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.