Point of impact shift

338weatherby

Getting my daughter's rifle ready for our antelope hunt. I've got a nice load for her .243 Win worked up with 70gr Hammer Hunters. Had a nice sub 1/2" group at 100 yards yesterday that was 1" to the right and about 1" high. I dialed it over to the left an inch and verified with two more rounds. When my daughter shot it she had a nice three shot group with all three touching. The only problem was, her group was 1" to the left of center and about a 1/2" lower. I had her shoot two more and those were the same left and lower. The rifle is a Savage 11XP package with the 3-9 Nikon that they sell with them. Is it possible for different shooters to have a different point of impact? I always thought there was no way for this to happen. Something else going on?

Absolutely, gun fit to an individual is everything. Pressure into your cheek weld, the slightest difference in left to right head positioning, the difference in length of pull from one person to the next etc. Many variables will come into play and can give one different impact points shooting the same rifle.

Last edited:
My son and I had the same for a couple of decades. The way each person holds the rifle, and looks trhough the scope makes a difference I believe. Just have it sighted for her, not you.

My son and I had the same for a couple of decades. The way each person holds the rifle, and looks trhough the scope makes a difference I believe. Just have it sighted for her, not you.
That's what I was thinking. Just wanted to be sure. I was happy as heck that she shot so consistent. That's the first time I've noticed a difference. She is a lefty and so is her rifle while I'm not. That is another reason I suppose.

I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I believe that parallax is supposed to help correct that. If your scope parallax is adjusted properly as you move your head around looking through the scope the reticle should stay on the target.

I imagine that how you and her hold the rifle differently still comes into play though. As in, if you two cant the rifle slightly differently or something like that. Though I wouldn't expect a difference that small to move the group that much at 100 yards.

It's fixed. Thought about that.
Several of my scopes are fixed as well. I heard a trick for that (though not ideal for hunting I don't think) is to back up from the scope a bit so you get the black ring around your reticle like shown in the pic below. You then move your head so that the reticle is centered in the scope eye piece and on the target. Basically a "poor man's" way to correct parallax.

In reality I would just sight it in for your daughter and then remember that it will shoot off for you if you ever use it.

1631546813187.png

Did you figure it out, or zeroed for her. I never tried to figure it out. Just had my sons rifles zeroed for him

Did you figure it out, or zeroed for her. I never tried to figure it out. Just had my sons rifles zeroed for him
Sorry, I meant it's a fixed parallax scope. I am just going to leave it zeroed for her. I should have just let her zero it, but being the dad, "I" had to because who knows best 😁. I'm going to have just shoot again and we will zero for her.

Several of my scopes are fixed as well. I heard a trick for that (though not ideal for hunting I don't think) is to back up from the scope a bit so you get the black ring around your reticle like shown in the pic below. You then move your head so that the reticle is centered in the scope eye piece and on the target. Basically a "poor man's" way to correct parallax.

In reality I would just sight it in for your daughter and then remember that it will shoot off for you if you ever use it.

View attachment 297514
This is probably exactly what is happening when she shoots compared to me. I get in close and she is definitely further back on the scope then me. I have her move in closer but settled on letting her just shoot comfortably.

View attachment 297514
I've used this method to help determine if my ring height is close to correct. I slide the scope forward some and look through it with my expected normal cheek weld, expecting the view to be centered in the black ring. Right or wrong, it seemed like a good idea.

But, I can confirm that different shooters may have a different POI looking through the same scope. Heck, I can have a different POI with my less expensive scopes if I break cheek weld between shots. It's not the drastic change you are seeing, but my groups will open up some if I have to break cheek weld in the middle of a string. The implication being I'm not getting my cheek in the exact same place every time.