Point of impact shift shooting with a bipod or a backpack and bipld height?

Hi everyone! I never used a bipod for hunting and i will try one out, a Harris. I found that, in the new district i have been assigned to, i find myself crawling with the rifle to get to a shooting position over the animals pretty often. In this case, especially at closer distances, the backpack protruding over you while crawling can make animal spot you, even if it didn't happen to me. Also the process to take it off and position the rifle on the backpack itself can be noisy and visible by the animals. In this cases a bipod could be handy. I have read many times that it's better to use a longer bipod to get over grass because, in case you need to stay lower than the minimum height of the bipod, you can always rest the rifle on the backpack. On the other hand, i know that switching from bipod to backpack as a rest can make the POI shift, even on a free floated barrel rifle. So the idea to switch this two rests depending on the height you need your rifle to be at doesn't seem to help with consistency and accuracy for longer shots. Until now i have always kept my shots within a little more than 300 yards so I have never been concerned about minor POI shifts that can occur changing position but in my new district a couple hundred yards of reach will be very handy.

Thanks everyone :)
no bipod pack or tripod practice using all but then I get to high points and scan for my game and ranges are 700 yards to 1200 yards

When you are getting position for a bipod shot be sure that you pull the bipod back last to take out any slack moveme t that recoil might cause.

It depends on the rifle. Lighter the rifle the more finicky it's gunna act from my experience. I've seen as much as a 2" vertical poi shift from bag to bipods on ultralight rifles. Talking sub 7 lbs scoped. My heavier rifles seem to not shift much if any. I have seen a shift from shooting prone locked into a tripod and shooting prone off a bipod on my most accurate rifle. The shift is about 1/3 moa. Most rifles you wouldn't even be able to see it as that's would be working within their accuracy capabilities. Interesting to see but for me it's not enough to even think about while shooting.

Hi everyone! I never used a bipod for hunting and i will try one out, a Harris. I found that, in the new district i have been assigned to, i find myself crawling with the rifle to get to a shooting position over the animals pretty often. In this case, especially at closer distances, the backpack protruding over you while crawling can make animal spot you, even if it didn't happen to me. Also the process to take it off and position the rifle on the backpack itself can be noisy and visible by the animals. In this cases a bipod could be handy. I have read many times that it's better to use a longer bipod to get over grass because, in case you need to stay lower than the minimum height of the bipod, you can always rest the rifle on the backpack. On the other hand, i know that switching from bipod to backpack as a rest can make the POI shift, even on a free floated barrel rifle. So the idea to switch this two rests depending on the height you need your rifle to be at doesn't seem to help with consistency and accuracy for longer shots. Until now i have always kept my shots within a little more than 300 yards so I have never been concerned about minor POI shifts that can occur changing position but in my new district a couple hundred yards of reach will be very handy.

For slithering with a backpack, try the sniper drag bag technique, dragging pack behind via lanyard attached at ankle or shoulder strap, as I prefer for better control/access. Some use forearm carry, pack on forearms in front of you, top or side peaking. Foliage on pack assists in concealment. Liberal application of sand burrs adds to the enjoyment, as does sugar cookie-ing.

Just an really old geezer's observation. Position building and recoil management determine the POI more than the rest composition....pack or bipod.

There is no difference between them, its how you aline yourself up on the rifle. you might think your the same but if the rifle shoots different its you. Have some one watch you get int shooting position on both, take picture. Mine was from bench to bi-pod, held my head higher.

I'd suggest starting with a 9 - 13"
Thanks for the suggestion! Can i ask why? I had a 6-9 harris on a 22 cz and i lovednshooting it prone.. i don't remember if i used it with full extended legs but i don't think so. couldn't the 9-13 be too tall for some applications?

It depends on the rifle. Lighter the rifle the more finicky it's gunna act from my experience. I've seen as much as a 2" vertical poi shift from bag to bipods on ultralight rifles. Talking sub 7 lbs scoped. My heavier rifles seem to not shift much if any. I have seen a shift from shooting prone locked into a tripod and shooting prone off a bipod on my most accurate rifle. The shift is about 1/3 moa. Most rifles you wouldn't even be able to see it as that's would be working within their accuracy capabilities. Interesting to see but for me it's not enough to even think about while shooting.
My rifle will be around 10.5 lbs and it will be a 308 with a 22 inch barrel. I shouldn't have issues

For slithering with a backpack, try the sniper drag bag technique, dragging pack behind via lanyard attached at ankle or shoulder strap, as I prefer for better control/access. Some use forearm carry, pack on forearms in front of you, top or side peaking. Foliage on pack assists in concealment. Liberal application of sand burrs adds to the enjoyment, as does sugar cookie-ing.
Don't forget fire ants, fleas, ticks and of course the jaws with wings aka as sandfleas