Point of Impact Issues

CJD

Fellas,

Have a rem 700 in 300 In Mag 26 inch SPS. Shooting Barnes TSX 180 grain velocity of 2960....

Scope is Leupold VX 3 3.5-10....

FROM BENCHREST WITH BIPOD - my zero was practically the same from 100 to 200 yards..... Does that surprise you?

Now moved down to shooting sticks from my knees and noticed POI was about 3 inches high..... Why?

Recoil? Less sturdy platform? Did my POI really change or was it me?

CD

Fellas,

Have a rem 700 in 300 In Mag 26 inch SPS. Shooting Barnes TSX 180 grain velocity of 2960....

Scope is Leupold VX 3 3.5-10....

FROM BENCHREST WITH BIPOD - my zero was practically the same from 100 to 200 yards..... Does that surprise you?

Now moved down to shooting sticks from my knees and noticed POI was about 3 inches high..... Why?

Recoil? Less sturdy platform? Did my POI really change or was it me?

CD

Just a dumb question, but...are you resting the BBl on the shooting sticks by chance?

sometimes bbl sometimes end of stock - trying to figure out what works best or is that what you are to do - bbls on sticks?

The barrel should NEVER be used as the point of contact for a rest when shooting. You wont damage anything but will likely be way off on your POI. Always rest the end of the forearm on the support. Using the barrel causes different and inconsistent harmonics, which are a big no no for precision shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.