POI Shift

It appears there is no problem with the suppressor. If the rifle is accurate unsuppressed it just about has to be a problem with the threading at the muzzle.

Go to TBAC website and look up specs for the barrel thread and shoulder. Or call them. If the end of the barrel isn't threaded to that spec it can cause issues.

it's threaded to spec. We think it has something to do with the weight of the suppressor but I can't see how. Unless the weight of a 30-p1 can't support the proof barrel. Ultra 7 can has produced what is expected.

it's threaded to spec. We think it has something to do with the weight of the suppressor but I can't see how. Unless the weight of a 30-p1 can't support the proof barrel. Ultra 7 can has produced what is expected.

My first 30-cal suppressor is so heavy that on a light 6.5 sporter barrel it lowers to POI eight inches at 100 yds, but it still groups great.

I've also seen 'smiths swear their threading job was done "to specs" (the specs of a particular suppressor mfgr) even though the suppressor would not go on. The job was not done to specs, it turned out.

It is also very difficult to tell whether a shoulder is cut perfectly square, which is what I suspect your problem is. Good luck.

Poi shift isn't a big issue if it groups. My shot to shot is a consistent drop. I have never found the bottom. I have been able to repeat this multiple times taking the can off and putting it back on. I'm sure the shoulder is square. They are still doing test on it. I have seen pictures of great groups with a ultra 7. multiple well known smiths say proof can be hit or miss and some don't like them. You know the only way to check the squareness is take the barrel off and chuck it up and check the run out. I don't have a lathe to check for it and I can't use the ones at work. I really think it is still a proof issue, as it heats up with each shot it sags. The 19oz can on the end might contribute to this. On the other hand I have spoke to people who use heavy suppressors like this or a specwar with no issues. I will figure out what is wrong with it and won't accept the way it shoots now.

I have read the entire thread. I can read and understand the frustration. Run a search on TBAC problems and you will see what we are trying to tell you.
Your problem may have nothing to do with the threads and shoulder but it is a recurring issue per TBAC. I have seen it myself.
If it is the Proof barrel, TBAC may have a history of issues with that barrel and can tell you that in a call. You pay a premium for that suppressor. Why not take advantage of their expertise, research, and development? You already paid for it and they want you to be a happy customer. I believe TBAC has had barrels and suppressors shipped to them to diagnose issues.
Good luck.
Plugging the electric fence back in for ya.

I understand. Since it is a fairly new rifle with about 100 rounds through it it is back at area419. I will call thunderbeast today. Thanks.

Hmmm. My next thought would be to spin up a barrel weight roughly matching the suppressor and see if the problem replicates. Isolate the issue to the barrel.
Hopefully the gunsmith and barrel maker can get you some satisfaction, especially after spending that kind of money. Please share your findings for our education. If you start a new thread or something please PM me so I don't miss it. I am intrigued. I had one here two weeks ago with kind of the same issue but the shot spread was horizontal. Left to right, one inch per shot as it warmed. Turned out to be a dirty quick detach mount that wouldn't tighten repeatable. Your problem is going to be a little more complicated.
My apologies to OP for hijacking his thread. I believe we already had his question answered.

To me it's not about the money. I just want it to perform as intended even if I have to pay for a new barrel. I am interested in finding out what's wrong with it even if a new barrel corrects it. I marked that proof barrel in a spot only I know where and how it is. So if it shoot great when and if I get it back I'll take it apart and look to see if the did a switch. I hope the 338 can will replicate my results so they can diagnose it, if not I will be sending them my 30-p1. I'm sure it's something dumb and easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.