POI Shift

We shoot the SilencerCo Omega on our AR's and bolt guns, chambered in 22, 243 and 30 calibers. The POI typically is lower with the suppressor on the guns. We travel with the suppressor off our guns too and our guns keep their zero after taking the suppressor on and off numerous times.

I'm also using the Sico Omega on my precision rifles. Initially loads were developed before I had the suppressor and both rifles are extremely accurate. Accuracy did not diminish once the suppressor was installed but the POI did shift by about 1" at 100yds. I rezeroed with the suppressor and called it good.

I use the direct thread method of attachment and travel to the range and to matches with the suppressor removed. Screw it on and the POI doesn't shift. I make my elevation correction for the different distances of target engagement, make a wind correction using the reticle and hit the target if I do my part. First match in February had targets from about 250 out to 1200 yds and never worried that I screwed the suppressor on right before the match. I've satisfied myself there will not be a POI shift.

I've heard of more problems with consistency when using the ratchet type qd mounts

So I use either direct thread on my sico stuff or I use TOMB (thread over muzzle brake) mounts on my dedicated rifle set ups. They mount a brake to the barrel that has external threads so you are still basically direct thread. Then they may add angled shoulder so the can seals off well and repeats each time. Looks at thunder beast or suppressed armament systems for examples

I have used mine on several different rifles/ calibers and found no issues with the zero moving . The poi has been in the 1-1.5" movement with or without the suppressor.
The only outlier is a Tikka 7mm Rem.
It has a 3" drop when suppressed.
A leupold with dials handles the changeover nicely.

I'm curious as well. If you zero your rifle with suppressor on, remove suppressor for the hike in, then reattach suppressor while you are hunting, should your zero still be true?
Yes, my rifles all have a repeatable POI shift taking the can off and on so long as you don't make any changes or adjustments to your mount.

I have also noticed all of my rifle's groups tighten up with running suppressors on them vs off.

The Hybrid is a pretty heavy suppressor (over 17 oz.) so if you hang it on a thin, sporter barrel your POI will drop substantially. Not a big deal, just write down your scope settings for both.

My 22" proof does not like a can at all! Shots will start 1" under zero and continue to drop every shot about 1/2"-1" between shots. I have only gone up to 6 shots at a time so I don't know where it will stop. This is at 100 yards. Frustrating for a 3600 build.

My 22" proof does not like a can at all! Shots will start 1" under zero and continue to drop every shot about 1/2"-1" between shots. I have only gone up to 6 shots at a time so I don't know where it will stop. This is at 100 yards. Frustrating for a 3600 build.

There is something wrong with either your suppressor or your mount system.

How well does the rifle group at 100 yds without a suppressor?

There is something wrong with either your suppressor or your mount system.

How well does the rifle group at 100 yds without a suppressor?

I sent the smith two photos from two different range times. I used different
ammo both time with the same results. This is my first proof barrel but not my first custom build by far. After the first time I took the action out of the stock and re-torque the action screws to 55in lbs alternating 5in lbs. checked for free float issues with a bipod loaded and unloaded. Cleaned the rifle. I use bore tech stuff. Double checked my mount and ring torques.

the gun is a tenacity action, proof sendero, diamond trigger @ 1.0lb bedded in a AG composite stock. 2 shots in black were after shooting with the can off to confirm poi.
C0D42402-6981-4D5F-9E02-F13EE1E803E2.jpeg

first time using the can after break in

Attachments

• 3FEDCF9F-FE2C-44B9-AD9E-DA8CED402557.jpeg
    3FEDCF9F-FE2C-44B9-AD9E-DA8CED402557.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
So I assume you are saying the rifle is very accurate bare, but goes beastie when you put the suppressor on. If so, then it is definitely either the suppressor or the mount.

Assuming, of course, you are snugging up your suppressor good when you mount it.

Suppressor is a TBAC 30-p1 that is direct thread. Shoots amazing on my gap hospitaller with zero poi shift. To answer your question yes it is always tight and checked often. My first thought when this happened was the bore not being concentric with the suppressor threads. Still doesn't explain the drop from shot to shot.

Last edited:
Did the 'smith provide you with an answer to the problem?

Lol, ya. My choice of ammo and suppressor weight could be a factor. Biggest crock I've ever herd. Gun is in transit to the smith. My opinion, the proof barrel was bad to begin with or delaminated before I shot it.

Took my factory 700 16" out this past weekend to rule me out and the suppressor. First target is Winchester 150g power point. Second, federal 168 smk.

Attachments

• D398BBBF-D0AA-4A1D-982B-930DC7A07A8E.jpeg
    D398BBBF-D0AA-4A1D-982B-930DC7A07A8E.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 68
  • 7AEA6070-ACCD-44EA-8F0E-460E3B55390F.jpeg
    7AEA6070-ACCD-44EA-8F0E-460E3B55390F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 68
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.