POI shift with magnification change?

For your main "x" no. For any additional hatches or marks yes. Could be considered a problem. Some dont mind. But it needs to be considered.

With a FFP scope you eliminate that issue, but there are other things some people dont like about FFP reticles. I havent used one enough to decide.

I have used enough SFP scopes to decide my next one will be a simple fine duplex reticle with some illumination.

I''m strictly talking about the center "X", not any of the hash marks for elevation or windage.

I haven't seen it in any of my scopes, but then again I haven't specifically looked for it or tested for it either. But a buddy of mine says that it's to be expected and common, especially with the SFP scopes. I only have one or two FFP scopes, all the rest of mine are SFP scopes.

Personally, I use the rangefinder and dial. If I will be using the scope reticle for windage I will move the magnification so that the reticle is correct for using it that way on the SFP scopes that I have.

I want to make sure that the POI (center "X") shouldn't move with either scope before I open my pie hole and tell my buddy that he needs to quit buying *** scopes and step up his equipment or quit using the equipment as excuses for why the gun isn't shooting well.

Another thing that he's got going on is that he wants to shoot a 180g .30 cal bullet @ 1600 fps (300 Blackout) and expects to be able to determine where a 195g 30 cal bullet @ 1050 fps will be impacting from just using a ballistic program. I have no idea what his sight height is. He missed a few hogs at 20-50 yds shooting the 195g bullet at night when he only had shot the 180g bullet at paper/steel. Supposedly he had the 180g sighted in @ 100 yds. (AR-15)

I told him that it was impossible to do without knowing where the 195g bullet was impacting. He's using the fps data from the side of the box for the 180g bullet, from the loading books for the 195g, no chronograph........

-- I shoot a 300bo with 110ttsx, 124fmj, 200gr fmj subs, and 195gr all copper expanding subs.

None of them have the same poi at 100yards. The faster lighter bullets hit higher than the heavier and subs (obviously) and I used my ballistic app along with my labradar to get them all on paper BUT I still paper test the "drops"
The difference between the 110's and 200's at 100yrds is just over 13moa

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts