POI shift between outings

youngbuck

He guys, looking for your input.
I'm shooting a trued 700 SS SA chambered in 6.5CM. it has a 22" proof sendero contour in a McMillan edge Game Warden. It is topped with a VX6-HD 3-18x44 with 20MOA Talley lightweight mount/rings.
The rifle shoots great. I'm shoots just about everything 1moa or better and my better loads get into the .5s.
The problem I am having is a shifting POI. It shifts exactly 2MOA, and perfectly horizontal. In only happens between outings. If it shoots on way or the other it will stay that way all day or for several weeks/months. When it shifts I correct for it and it stays that way the rest of the day. I have a new mount to try that is heavier, taller and sturdier, but the perfect 2 minute horizontal shift makes me think it isn't the mount. I'm leaning towards the scope. It's happened a few times over the past year, and at first I thought it was because I was taking the stock off and changing the box mags. I haven't changed anything and it shifted again this morning.
Does anybody have any thoughts or happen to have any experience with this issue?

Yeah I would remount the scope and also loosen the action screws, stand the rifle up vertically to get the action to seat properly then retourque the actions screws...see what happens after that.

I personally do not like Talley's, I have had issues with a set and all of mine have rusted out, so I moved totally away from them. Look at getting a set of the Hawkins hybrid rings, you'll see a major difference with those.

Quick question...what does your rifle weight with that vx6 on it? I'm thinking of doing a similar build but with a manners CF stock and a 20" proof barrel, it I would be running that rifle suppressed so I am trying to watch the weight on it.

I would be looking at the scope.

This...plus mounts.
I would remove the scope and all mounting hardware and start fresh. I've had this happen a couple times and it was the scope once and the scope slipping in the rings the next. The scope slipping in the rings required a third ring to cure the problem. If the mounting is good and no slippage then try another scope.

Hard to believe it is the scope or mounts since the POI of each shot is so consistent for that particular shooting session. I might have to look at the shooting technique to ensure it is the same for each session. Just a thought.

I thought it was shooting technique early on. All shots are prone of bipod and rear bag. I can't imagine something I'm doing that changes 2 minutes so consistently, but I'm up to suggestions. I have also never had this issue prior or on any other rifles. I've run Talley lightweights on several rifles, including plenty of RUMs without issue. That doesnt mean im not having an issue now. I dissasembled and remounted back in March. I may try that again. I haven't shot much since then, the forest has been shut down and today was the first shift. I have a hunt mid September and hope to have it sorted out by then. Turn around time for Leupold will eat up most of that time if it is the scope.

Last edited:
I have the exact scope on a Proof barreled 6.5x284. Mine shifted 2 MOA to the left one range trip and had me stumped... I corrected for it and it's been OK for the last 40 ish rounds....gosh I hope it was just a fluke.

I like the VX HD's, but I doubt they're NF dependable. Ryan Pierce from Piercision rifles posted on facebook that he had a customers VX6HD shift 3/8 moa between shots. His rifles shoot in the .1's and after he put his Kahles (if I remember correctly) it shot to his standards.

Dont think a N.F can't have its problems to, I watched a BR shooter chase his tail for 80 rounds come to find out it was his N.F. Dont just assume because it's one brand or the other that its bullet proof.

Not assuming anything. I have a few NF's and I know anything mechanical can fail. My opinion between the NF's and my vx6HD is that the NF will take more abuse, and that instills confidence in my shooting and it shows on target.

There is not a Leupold made that I would expect to be as dependable as my NXS. Could it fail? Sure, as Reloader10 stated anything mechanical can and eventually will. The difference is the NXS has had a better (proven) track record for decades. Of the two I've owned, dozens I've shot and dozens more I've been around- only once have I seen one that failed (wouldn't hold zero).
That's why I have one on my dedicated ELR rifle. There is no assumption with me, proven dependable does it for me over new-fandango. Do I like the new VX-5 & 6? Yep, would like to try one but the jury may still be out. Not gonna sell me NXS to buy one, especially on a rifle I intend to really stretch out there.

Youngbuck,
Give Leupold a call and tell them the situation with your hunt (if you deem it necessary to send the scope in). I've had two MK-4s crap out on me just before going on an out of state hunt. One was a little over two weeks out and they got my scope back to me in working order in less than two weeks and the other was a week out and I got a loaner of my choosing. If that doesn't work I have a brand new 3-15 SS I'll let you borrow for the hunt if your don't have other options.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.